Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

How to replace the ignition switch 94 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92, 93, 94
Model: Cherokee
Default How to replace the ignition switch 94 XJ

Hi all.

I have a 94 XJ which suddenly stopped allowing me to turn the key. It turns from OFF to LOCK but not to ACC or START.

Thanks to the helpful posts here I have been able to remove the steering wheel and pop out the tumbler. I happen to have another 93 XJ mostly intact so I stole its tumbler and key but discovered the problem is not with the tumbler at all. I can tell by comparing the action to that of the 93 that the mechanical movement is not what it should be on the 94. There is some movement, but the metal parts that move do not extend nearly as far as they do on the 93, and it feels like a lot of tension builds when I try to rotate the key toward the ACC position.

By the way, I was stumped for a while because on both of my XJs there is no retaining screw holding the tumbler in place. I eventually discovered that there is a thin slot slightly above and left of where the (empty) retaining screw hole is. I had to slide a thin piece of metal in there and then I could slide the tumbler out easily.

After reading more posts here I think the next thing to check is the ignition switch. I saw it explained as a "simple job" and read that it can be located on top of the steering column.

I have not been able to find any pictures of the ignition switch yet so I am not sure if I am looking at the right thing, but I found a thin metal rod with a slight double bend at the end which seems to press against a white plastic roundish part. Wires are coming from behind this part. Is this the ignition switch?

I am a novice mechanic, but I decided to just go ahead and dive in and learn. Any advice in troubleshooting or links to relevant pictures would be most appreciated.

-Ryan
Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

My ignition switch locked up on me one day and one guy on here sent me these directions. Here are the directions per Chrysler.....

IGNITION SWITCH AND KEY CYLINDER
The ignition switch is located on the steering column. The Key-In-Switch is located in the ignition switch module. For diagnosis of the Key-In-Switch, refer to Section 8U.

REMOVAL
1.Disconnect negative cable from battery.
2.If vehicle has a tilt column, remove tilt lever by turning it counterclockwise.
3.Remove upper and lower covers from steering column Shroud Removal/Installation - Typical
4.Remove ignition switch mounting screws. Use tamper proof torx bit Snap-on TTXR20A2 or equivalent to remove the screws Ignition Switch Screw Removal or Ignition Switch Screw Removal
5.Gently pull switch away from column. Release connector locks on 7-terminal wiring connector, then remove connector from ignition switch.
6.Release connector lock on 4-terminal connector, then remove connector from ignition switch Key-In-Switch and Halo Lamp Connector
7.To remove key cylinder from ignition switch:
a.Insert key in ignition switch. Turn key to LOCK position. Using a TTXR20A2 or equivalent torx bit, remove key cylinder retaining screw and bracket Key Cylinder Retaining Screw or Key Cylinder Retaining Screw
b.Rotate key clockwise to the OFF position. Key cylinder will unseat from ignition switch Unseated Key Cylinder When key cylinder is unseated, it will be approximately 1/8 inch away from ignition switch halo light ring. Do not attempt to remove key cylinder at this time.
c.With key cylinder in unseated position, rotate key counterclockwise to the lock position and remove key.
d.With key cylinder in unseated position, rotate key counterclockwise to the lock position and remove key.
e.Remove key cylinder from ignition switch Key Cylinder Removal
INSTALLATION
1.Connect electrical connectors to ignition switch. Make sure that switch locking tabs are fully seated in wiring connectors.
2.Before attaching ignition switch to a tilt steering column, the transmission shifter must be in Park position. The park lock dowel pin and column lock flag must also be properly indexed before installing switch Ignition Switch View From Column
a.Place transmission shifter in PARK position.
b.Place ignition switch in lock position. The switch is in the lock position when column lock flag is parallel to ignition switch terminals Ignition Switch View From Column
c.Position ignition switch park lock dowel pin so it will engage steering column park lock slider linkage Ignition Switch Mounting Pad
3.Apply a light coating of grease to column lock flag and park lock dowel pin.
4.Place ignition switch against lock housing opening on steering column. Ensure that ignition switch park lock dowel pin enters slot in park lock slider linkage in steering column.
5.Install retaining bracket and ignition switch mounting screws. Tighten screws to 3±.5 N·m (26±4 in. lbs.) torque.
6.Install ignition lock cylinder:
7.With lock cylinder and ignition switch in Lock position, insert lock cylinder into ignition switch until it bottoms.
8.Insert ignition key into lock cylinder. While gently pushing lock cylinder in toward ignition switch, rotate ignition key to end of travel.
9.Install retaining screw into bracket and lock cylinder. Tighten screw to 3±.5 N·m (26±4 in. lbs.) torque.
10.Install steering column covers. Tighten screws to 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.) torque.
11.If vehicle is equipped with a tilt steering column, install tilt lever.
12.Connect negative cable to battery.
13.Check for proper operation of halo light, shift lock (if applicable), and column lock. Also check for proper operation of ignition switch accessory, lock, off, run, and start positions.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I had to change both lock cylinder and ignition switch. I got mine from O'Reilly the lock cylinder was $55 and the switch was$35. My xj is a 96 so the price may vary.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Since your jeep is stuck and not drivable, if you have AAA try calling them to see what it would cost to have a road service locksmith come out.

My key stopped turning all together and I had a friend suggest calling AAA. Since the car was not drivable it qualified as a road service call from a locksmith. It cost me like $40 and they did the work in the driveway and I kept the same key.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Countryboy 73
My ignition switch locked up on me one day and one guy on here sent me these directions. Here are the directions per Chrysler.....

IGNITION SWITCH AND KEY CYLINDER
The ignition switch is located on the steering column. The Key-In-Switch is located in the ignition switch module. For diagnosis of the Key-In-Switch, refer to Section 8U.

REMOVAL
1.Disconnect negative cable from battery.
2.If vehicle has a tilt column, remove tilt lever by turning it counterclockwise.
3.Remove upper and lower covers from steering column Shroud Removal/Installation - Typical
4.Remove ignition switch mounting screws. Use tamper proof torx bit Snap-on TTXR20A2 or equivalent to remove the screws Ignition Switch Screw Removal or Ignition Switch Screw Removal
5.Gently pull switch away from column. Release connector locks on 7-terminal wiring connector, then remove connector from ignition switch.
6.Release connector lock on 4-terminal connector, then remove connector from ignition switch Key-In-Switch and Halo Lamp Connector
7.To remove key cylinder from ignition switch:
a.Insert key in ignition switch. Turn key to LOCK position. Using a TTXR20A2 or equivalent torx bit, remove key cylinder retaining screw and bracket Key Cylinder Retaining Screw or Key Cylinder Retaining Screw
b.Rotate key clockwise to the OFF position. Key cylinder will unseat from ignition switch Unseated Key Cylinder When key cylinder is unseated, it will be approximately 1/8 inch away from ignition switch halo light ring. Do not attempt to remove key cylinder at this time.
c.With key cylinder in unseated position, rotate key counterclockwise to the lock position and remove key.
d.With key cylinder in unseated position, rotate key counterclockwise to the lock position and remove key.
e.Remove key cylinder from ignition switch Key Cylinder Removal
INSTALLATION
1.Connect electrical connectors to ignition switch. Make sure that switch locking tabs are fully seated in wiring connectors.
2.Before attaching ignition switch to a tilt steering column, the transmission shifter must be in Park position. The park lock dowel pin and column lock flag must also be properly indexed before installing switch Ignition Switch View From Column
a.Place transmission shifter in PARK position.
b.Place ignition switch in lock position. The switch is in the lock position when column lock flag is parallel to ignition switch terminals Ignition Switch View From Column
c.Position ignition switch park lock dowel pin so it will engage steering column park lock slider linkage Ignition Switch Mounting Pad
3.Apply a light coating of grease to column lock flag and park lock dowel pin.
4.Place ignition switch against lock housing opening on steering column. Ensure that ignition switch park lock dowel pin enters slot in park lock slider linkage in steering column.
5.Install retaining bracket and ignition switch mounting screws. Tighten screws to 3±.5 N·m (26±4 in. lbs.) torque.
6.Install ignition lock cylinder:
7.With lock cylinder and ignition switch in Lock position, insert lock cylinder into ignition switch until it bottoms.
8.Insert ignition key into lock cylinder. While gently pushing lock cylinder in toward ignition switch, rotate ignition key to end of travel.
9.Install retaining screw into bracket and lock cylinder. Tighten screw to 3±.5 N·m (26±4 in. lbs.) torque.
10.Install steering column covers. Tighten screws to 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.) torque.
11.If vehicle is equipped with a tilt steering column, install tilt lever.
12.Connect negative cable to battery.
13.Check for proper operation of halo light, shift lock (if applicable), and column lock. Also check for proper operation of ignition switch accessory, lock, off, run, and start positions.
Thanks for the reply. However, these instructions appear to be for a newer model vehicle.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM

Default Ignition Switch connecter is melted

After determining that the tumbler was good, I dropped the steering column to locate and inspect the ignition switch. I found it right on top of the column about two thirds of the way down. You can't miss it once you see it.

The switch and the blue connector had melted. I'm afraid I am going to have to do some splicing to get a new connector on those leads. Here are some pics:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10571...45087555261857
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

just went thru this with a newbie plenty of pics in hhere ....https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wip...othing-131550/
Old 04-21-2012, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

deff need plug the leads do come out of the plug you know,i would get a plug from jy take your wires out and install on other plug useing tools similar to these theres a small tab that holds them in
Attached Images  

Last edited by freegdr; 04-21-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM

I have replaced the plug and purchased a new ignition switch, but can't figure out how to get the ignition switch connected to the actuator rod. I know I should have paid more attention when I took the old one off.

I believe the 90 degree bend at the end of the rod is supposed to slip into the slot in the "slider" portion of the ignition switch, but the two do not line up. The rod has a bend at its end which is about 40 degrees out of alignment with the slider slot if I dont force anything.

Does anyone have a clear picture of the actuator rod connected to the ignition switch?

** I added a youtube video here

Last edited by leathersr; 04-21-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 93,94,01,01 XJ, 88 Comanche, 98 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Ignition Switch Problem. Not the tumbler

Originally Posted by leathersr
Thanks for the reply. However, these instructions appear to be for a newer model vehicle.
This is for 98 and newer. I know for sure that 94 and older do not have 2 piece covers on columns. I know exactly what is being asked here because I'm having the exact same problem and have yet to find any definitive answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:02 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

This might help.