Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help with my stereo install!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 of course
Default Help with my stereo install!!

First off, how does the guage/hvac bezel come off? I've got all the screws out, clips out but I don't have enough room to pull it off? Does the steering column cover need to come off aswell?

I seriously have never had this much trouble running RCA's and all that before. I've installed tons of stereo's and usually there is just a gaping whole behind the dash you feed wires through. Being that I can't get my bezel completely off I'm sure is hindering my attempts though. I ran a piece of 4ga wire through the back of the dash, came out the bottom so I taped my RCA's to it to try and pull it back through and it seems to get caught on everything. Where have you guys been running them or do I just need to get that stupid bezel all the way off?

Also, while doing yoga under my dash to try and see what I'm doing I found this little solenoid thing, has like 4 wires running into it. What's wierd though is it's quite hot, like has current going through it. Haven't driven the Jeep since Monday either...

This thing...

Any help is appreciated as I'm quite frustrated
Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0

Just installed a sub. You got just rip that **** off!! i know i searched forever cuz i couldn't get it either. But just yank it and it wont break... just bend ha.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

to get it off you have to take off the steering column cover, and a little black cover that you will notice blocking you from getting it off thats under the steering column cover....dont just yank it off, tried that....it cracked

also have no idea what that little thing is.....wondered that myself and give it about and hour and it will get REALLY HOT lol
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
to get it off you have to take off the steering column cover, and a little black cover that you will notice blocking you from getting it off thats under the steering column cover....dont just yank it off, tried that....it cracked

also have no idea what that little thing is.....wondered that myself and give it about and hour and it will get REALLY HOT lol

Ok so it's not uncommon for this thing to be hot then? It had me worried. On the topic though, looks like a pair of 6mm bolts to get the cover off, is that it?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 Stroked - 4.7

I used to have a Sound system in my jeep - 3 pairs of RCA's to the rear of the head unit did not fit right. However it was done. I ran the RCA's back left corner of the radio hole - VERY VERY TIGHT FIT! I dont know how I did it. The Head unit never fit right into the hole either. I ended up pulling the dash off and in the process of building a custom dash. The HVAC controls do not like to move back there and there are tons of vaccum lines so dont go pullin or your A/C will not work correctly without ripping the whole dash out and re-wiring I promise it is a pain . I do not envy what you are trying to do. If you can find a bezel extend for the application I highly recommend.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 Stroked - 4.7

Originally Posted by MyNameIsNick

Also, while doing yoga under my dash to try and see what I'm doing I found this little solenoid thing, has like 4 wires running into it. What's wierd though is it's quite hot, like has current going through it. Haven't driven the Jeep since Monday either...

This thing...
(Insert White thingy here)

Any help is appreciated as I'm quite frustrated
That looks to be a starter kill relay - why it is hot - maybe from the weather? Not too sure. Looks rigged of some sort. See if you can trace the wires and let me know where they go.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by MyNameIsNick
Ok so it's not uncommon for this thing to be hot then? It had me worried. On the topic though, looks like a pair of 6mm bolts to get the cover off, is that it?
its normal, thing got hot enough that it actually burned me after about 2-3 hours on a hot day. it takes philips head to take off two of the screws, the other is some kind of star bolt ( i just found a flathead screwdriver that fit) good luck
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
its normal, thing got hot enough that it actually burned me after about 2-3 hours on a hot day. it takes philips head to take off two of the screws, the other is some kind of star bolt ( i just found a flathead screwdriver that fit) good luck
Ha well I just pulled it off very carefully. Probably helps it was 95 and humid today. Plastic gets fairly pliable when that warm. Got the RCA's in though, ran them behind pretty much everything. Removed the gauge cluster and it was much much easier. Got it all set up, now just gotta tune everything so it sounds decent.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

you have a "supercharged" focus huh? thats a new one. why not turbo.

bet muh stock bmw will still beat it on a track (not 1/4)

anyway I just ran my rcs under the center console, I took the whole surround off of the dash and the lower dash peice and just shoved a coat hanger up behind the stereo and got it through without much trouble.

good that you got it though gl making it rock