Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

interior LED bulbs won't shut off completely.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default interior LED bulbs won't shut off completely.

Installed interior LED's, and while driving, they will dim, but will not shut completely off. Once I turn the car off and lock the doors, they turn off completely. Anyone know how or if I can fix the issue?
Old 09-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 98JGC826
Installed interior LED's, and while driving, they will dim, but will not shut completely off. Once I turn the car off and lock the doors, they turn off completely. Anyone know how or if I can fix the issue?
A small bit of current is "leaking". There are a couple possibilities.

1. Start by checking the plunger switch in the driver door. With all other doors closed, press it in fully by hand. If the lights go completely out, that switch isn't being fully compressed. To fix this remove it and put a washer between the sheet metal and the switch. Over time the sheet metal tends to recess a bit from use.

2. Check the main light switch and wiring harness. This isn't scientific, but should indicate if this area is a problem... see if flexing the under dash wiring harness or pressing on/around the main interior light switch causes a change. Note, all doors should be closed when doing this test. If wiring is a problem, well... let's hope it isn't.

3. The rear cargo lamp (at least in the ZJ and 97+XJ) is also a switch that turns on all interior lights. With all doors and hatch closed, see if pressing it fully and holding it changes anything. It's unlikely this switch is bad. Many people don't know it's there and those that do probably don't use it much.

Side note - the LEDs don't usually cause this problem. Current was likely leaking before, it just wasn't noticed because incandescents require considerably more energy to light up.

This is the most common troubleshooting question I get regarding LEDs.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Snajo; 09-05-2015 at 08:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snajo:
FishinSam (01-18-2021), imdabeast2114 (11-15-2022)
Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I know this is way old, but it turns out I was completely wrong before. The WJ needs lights that draw more current than many LEDs do. For example, the stock overhead bulb in a WJ (above rear seats) uses 530mA at 14V. The standard LED that I put in my XJ uses 130mA at 14V. That light has the above issue sometimes in a WJ. When it was replaced by an LED that uses 200mA, the problem went away. I can't say it will solve 100% of issues like this, but using CANBUS LEDs in the WJ is recommended for all overhead lights. CANBUS shouldn't matter for door lights, floor well lamps, ash tray, or glove box.