Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Stabilizer Bar Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front Stabilizer Bar Bushing

I need new bushings for my front stabilizer bar where the bar is connected to the frame. Where is the best place to purchase these. Found several on Rock Auto, but there are many stabilizer bar diameters. I have a 1999 Cherokee 4dr, what size is my front stabilizer bar?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM

What a co-incidence, I'm replacing mine this weekend. 01 xj Sport.

You should be able to get them from any Auto parts chain. They might have to get them from their warehouse though. If you Google them, "1999 Jeep Cherokee front sway bar bushings", you'll see you can get them mail order too.

As for size, they will be listed by size, in millimeters. If you can, crawl under your jeep and measure them with the metric part of a tape measure. Chances are if it's a base model Cherokee, like the sport, without tow package, it will be the smallest diameter size, 22 MM I think. Don't quote me though LOL. You might want to do the sway bar end links too. You'll see them on each end of the sway bar.

I just bought my 01 Sport from a used car dealer. Mine needs the bushings and end links, so I'm replacing mine tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check out Quadratec, I bought mine there. Came with all the bushings for the swaybar and end links as well as the swaybar brackets and bushing grease. I think it was about $25 with shipping.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRXJ
I need new bushings for my front stabilizer bar where the bar is connected to the frame. Where is the best place to purchase these. Found several on Rock Auto, but there are many stabilizer bar diameters. I have a 1999 Cherokee 4dr, what size is my front stabilizer bar?
I just bought mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts last week cost me $13 and came with a Lifetime Warranty. Where ever you go just don't buy the cheapest ones they sell, I bought the Moog ones I've never had a problem with any of their parts.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by ezab
I just bought mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts last week cost me $13 and came with a Lifetime Warranty. Where ever you go just don't buy the cheapest ones they sell, I bought the Moog ones I've never had a problem with any of their parts.
I work part time at an Oreilly and I will say that we have verry little problems with our house brand but I like the name brand parts myself.

A heads up, if you find a part at another parts store and it's cheaper they will match it for you.....it's too bad that they won't match internet store prices....but at an internet store you have to wait for your part and you don't get a nice parts guy like me!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Here in NJ we don't have O'reilly's chain. I'm getting mine from NAPA. No problems with their parts, and good prices as well.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by repair
I work part time at an Oreilly and I will say that we have verry little problems with our house brand but I like the name brand parts myself.

A heads up, if you find a part at another parts store and it's cheaper they will match it for you.....it's too bad that they won't match internet store prices....but at an internet store you have to wait for your part and you don't get a nice parts guy like me!
Do people actually buy the Moog ball joints and tie rods there? They come with the same warranty and cost at least 3 times as much. Just curious.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Do people actually buy the Moog ball joints and tie rods there? They come with the same warranty and cost at least 3 times as much. Just curious.
x2.

I strongly recommend having the parts counter guy pull the MOOG part and the house brand part and put them on the counter and compare with your own two eyes.

There is nothing in the metalurgy to be worried about. If the part looks the same...it's 99% likely it came from the same plant, out of the same machines and same materials. This is how the car business works for "service parts". There is a plant out there that makes "sway bars" and makes them for everybody...and stamps a different part number on them for each "brand".

This is true for a great many parts no matter if they are GM, Toyota, Chrylser, etc. If the part looks the same...it probably is the same.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Year: 1999

Do I just ask for sway bar bushings? I only am getting the ones for the frame. They are shot lol. If I hit bumps it goes up and hits the frame, and its fairly loud. If I just replace the ones on the frame can I just unbolt the two bushing brackets and pull the sway bar down a little to apply the new ones??
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BRXJ
Do I just ask for sway bar bushings? I only am getting the ones for the frame. They are shot lol. If I hit bumps it goes up and hits the frame, and its fairly loud. If I just replace the ones on the frame can I just unbolt the two bushing brackets and pull the sway bar down a little to apply the new ones??
Yes that's how its done, it's a pretty simple job.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Originally Posted by repair

It was either advance or auto zone but my brother was looking for a radiator for his beemer and they match iternet prices.

Moog parts are pretty much the best you can get. Warranties don't cover the cost of getting the part installed. Buy the best and never replace it again.