Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dies while turning left

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default dies while turning left

OK, a weird issue going on that I've heard might be a common one. Recently, my dad's boat had a fuel leak, so we drained what we could, and some of it ended up in my Cherokee. We added heet and sea-foam before it went in, but the next morning it was running pretty rough from a little water, so I added more heet and it smoothed it out. I burned all that gas, and on my next fill-up I added another bottle of heet just to be safe and make sure there was no more water.

It's about a week later, and suddenly when I get below 1/4 tank or so, it stalls pretty badly, or sometimes dies completely while turning left. I don't think after two full bottles of heet there would be any more water in there. I've heard some people suggest a pump, or the pickup maybe. Anyone else experience this? Would I screw myself by letting it go a little longer until I find time to do it (I'm in the middle of a move)? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Steve W Nast
OK, a weird issue going on that I've heard might be a common one. Recently, my dad's boat had a fuel leak, so we drained what we could, and some of it ended up in my Cherokee. We added heet and sea-foam before it went in, but the next morning it was running pretty rough from a little water, so I added more heet and it smoothed it out. I burned all that gas, and on my next fill-up I added another bottle of heet just to be safe and make sure there was no more water.

It's about a week later, and suddenly when I get below 1/4 tank or so, it stalls pretty badly, or sometimes dies completely while turning left. I don't think after two full bottles of heet there would be any more water in there. I've heard some people suggest a pump, or the pickup maybe. Anyone else experience this? Would I screw myself by letting it go a little longer until I find time to do it (I'm in the middle of a move)? Any suggestions would be great.
What year is your Cherokee? Are you open to bringing it into the dealer for diagnosis? - Kevin T, Social Connect Team
Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I had a similar issue. It turned out to be the fuel pump. I have a 98 XJ sport. It only stalled when I turned left, if I turned right no issue. Strangest thing. $200 part at AutoZone or Advance Auto. Once you replace the unit, make sure the sending unit works, (it will take a minute or two for the gauge to get an accurate reading) before you strap it all back up otherwise you have to take it out all over again

Last edited by Jackson_Rosenthal; 07-11-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Always post year/engine for the most accurate comments as there are significant issues through the years.

If it only happens when you get below 1/4 tank, bad gas is not your problem. If the pump is in the tank, it likely is going to have to come out.

In the meantime, I would advise not to enter any oval races
Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Why is nobody seeing the obvious here?

Just stop turning left!

You can test the pump by renting a fuel pressure gauge at your local parts store. Autozone and Advance will 'rent' tools for free. You pay full price, use it, and when you take it back they give a full refund.