Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country 3" lift kit any good for a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Smile Rough Country 3" lift kit any good for a DD?

Hey guys. I asked a similar question on one of the Facebook groups and most of the people on there are dummies so i'm gonna see what the professionals here think. Has anyone used the RC 3" that comes with lower control arms and sway bar drop brackets (along with shocks/springs obviously)? The AAL version runs about $350, the full leaf is about $550. How is it? Hard to install? Hows it ride? Quality? My jeep is my daily driver, im in high school. The only offroad it sees is the occasional muddy field or snowy roads, but 90% of the time its my DD for getting around town. Some people seem to think RC is junk, while others think its a very good deal for the price. People say its bad for offroad and getting beat on, but as a DD how is it? Honestly its pretty much just gonna be for looks. Is anything else needed besides what comes in the kit? So what are you guys thoughts? Anything is appreciated. Thanks.

This is just a link to the AAL version of the kit if you don't know which one im talking about http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-670x.html
Old 03-19-2016, 12:32 AM

Year: 99

I did full leaf about three months ago, its already rusting haha, she rides fine, i need some shims, and a little more trimming on the fenders, i love how it rides i say better then stock! Bolts will break!!!! Youtube is your freind haha
If you plan on installing yourself have an extra pair of hands, some one who has common sence lol!
Old 03-19-2016, 02:40 AM

3" RC with full leaf springs and N2.0 shocks. I installed it last month on my 89 xj with blown shocks, and the ride is night and day. i removed the rear sway bar and still notice great handling. I don't regret one bit buying the lift. best improvement I've purchased.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If you lift, go full springs. If you're set on rc then no one is going to change your mind. I'd go zone or another similarly priced brand over rc if I could go back. If you get the rc full pack lift get extended shackles and shackle relocator boxes. The springs are too short and give a crappy ride, shackle angle, little to no flex, and just not how leaf springs are supposed to be set up. I got my kit 3 years ago I think and the bushings are completely shot. The leaf springs have sagged and the thing still rides like crap. I daily drive it and I'm in highschool. Once I get the money I'm going to redo it all because it's all crap. The springs, the shocks, and the control arms. Oh and neither of those kits are complete. You'll need extended brake lines and a trackbar at minimum. If you've never worked on a car before it could be pretty hard, but if you're mechanically inclined you should be fine.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

There are so many lifts available in the 3".

IMO if you choose rough country then get the AAL system.
The leaf springs are just not any good, not only because of length but the bushings are really poor quality.
Rustysoffroad.com is supposed to have the best quality, North American made springs.
Rusty offers a 3" advanced kit that has most everything you need to lift.
Rubicon Express offers two versions of 3.5 lift kits, both of which are more inclusive than most lift kits.

IMO, it's best to buy the components individually.
Not everyone has the $$$ and/or patience to do that.

I say just pick one out and run with it.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A much better kit with all parts made in NA with quality leafs/coils is the Rustys 3" full leaf/coil, shock, hardware package you get everything you need with the kit except for 3 items. Those are needed ones first an Adj. Track Bar, Sway Bar Disconnects (not just extensions) and in some cases a transfer case drop kit. Just have to do the lift first to see if the drop kit is needed or not.

I ran this exact kit for just over a year just the way it came with the items I mentioned. I upgraded my lift to a 4 1/2" some time age and used the same leafs and coils to do it also but added a lot of other parts ( cost gets very high over a 3" lift).

If you plan on larger tires as most do from 31x10:50- 35x12:50's you will need a 15x8" wheel with 3.75-4" of BS for them to fit without rubbing the frame, this is a must. Steel wheels start at about $40 each in several styles.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!
Old 03-19-2016, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

I would also recommend the Rusty's off road kit over the RC, better quality and also cheaper last time I checked. The 3in kit is what I plan on getting when I get around to it. I would also recommend going with new leaf springs over the aal your factory springs and bushings are most likely worn out. An adjustable track bar may not be needed with only 3in of lift, you can always add one later if needed, track bar relocating brackets are also available.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:45 PM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
A much better kit with all parts made in NA with quality leafs/coils is the Rustys 3" full leaf/coil, shock, hardware package you get everything you need with the kit except for 3 items. Those are needed ones first an Adj. Track Bar, Sway Bar Disconnects (not just extensions) and in some cases a transfer case drop kit. Just have to do the lift first to see if the drop kit is needed or not.

I ran this exact kit for just over a year just the way it came with the items I mentioned. I upgraded my lift to a 4 1/2" some time age and used the same leafs and coils to do it also but added a lot of other parts ( cost gets very high over a 3" lift).

If you plan on larger tires as most do from 31x10:50- 35x12:50's you will need a 15x8" wheel with 3.75-4" of BS for them to fit without rubbing the frame, this is a must. Steel wheels start at about $40 each in several styles.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!
Thanks for the info, but are you sure that I would need aftermarket rims? I've seen tons of people running stock rims with 3" lifts and 31s.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by d.walker
Thanks for the info, but are you sure that I would need aftermarket rims? I've seen tons of people running stock rims with 3" lifts and 31s.
just won't be able to turn as much. Will rub
Old 03-19-2016, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You can put a washer behind the steering stops to prevent the tires from rubbing or just turn it the other way a little when it starts rubbing.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With a stock 7" wide wheel it makes it hard to air down when off road as you should for traction and ride comfort, the proper wheel will give you that as well as proper fit.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:25 PM

Year: 1996

I've been running the RC 3" Series 2 lift with full leaf packs for about a year now, in my daily driver. I added their adjustable trackbar, a steering stabilizer, and a transfer case drop. It rides a little stiff, but I like it. No real complaints. If I was serious about going off road on a regular basis, I would have spent a little more on a different lift, just based on what others have said about it. For a daily driver that isn't beat on too hard, it's great lift for the money. Some people recommend the Rusty's lift, but I found that not only do they have the same amount of people saying bad things about them, but they charge ridiculous shipping charges. Any money their kits save up front is completely lost when you add shipping.

I'm running 32's and I haven't noticed any rubbing. Not even when I have taken it on some gnarly roads. I haven't done any serious crawling yet, though.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

I didn't know that rusty's charged shipping. I guess I'll have to order from somewhere else, is there any other companys that sell rusty's products but offer free shipping? I always hated paying a lot for shipping.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

WOW I just found out that 104 dollars is their cheapest shipping option I'll defiantly pass on that. Go to NTW online they have free shipping with many lifts to chose from. It is where I ordered the lift and tires for my Superduty and will soon be ordering wheels for both the jeep and truck.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:38 PM

Go with Iron Rock Off Road. I have their 3" premium kit. It is excellent quality and rides great. Only thing was that since I got the 3.5" full leaf pack and the boomerang shackles the rear was lifted higher than the front by about 3/4".

Quick Reply: Rough Country 3" lift kit any good for a DD?