Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

air filter soaked in oil help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0ho
Default air filter soaked in oil help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a 91 cherokee and i noticed oil leaking from the drivers side fender well and discovered that my air filter is soaked in oil what is wrong and how do i fix it? is it the pcv valve and where is it located? autozone says the jeep doesnt have a pcv valve please help
Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.o

it has what is called ccv vavle on the back of vavle cover remove hose to it and turn the vavle off and clean it possibly with large paper clip pull off plastic tubing carefully and make sure air passes through them there is a small notch and bigger notch on it after you turn it to right position should pull up and off also do the one in front connected to the air box and clean it to
Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Talking oil-soaked air filter

Originally Posted by smelser509
i have a 91 cherokee and i noticed oil leaking from the drivers side fender well and discovered that my air filter is soaked in oil what is wrong and how do i fix it? is it the pcv valve and where is it located? autozone says the jeep doesnt have a pcv valve please help
You don't mention what engine you have. If it's a 4.0 like mine ('93 xj), you have a small pcv near the back end of the valve cover, but that's probably not the source of the oil; there is another much larger hose that exits the valve cover right ner the oil filler cap and is connected to the air cleaner box-this is probably where the oil is coming from, i.e., oil-laden engine blow-by is being sucked out and collects in the air filter. A cure for this is to splice into the hose one of those air/oil separators normally used with air compressors. This will keep the oil in the blow-by from getting into the air filter.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0ho
Talking

i will try cleaning the grometts on the valve cover and if that doesnt work i may try the seperator thanks a bunch... as soon as this problem is resolved i am gonna get another set of rear springs and shocks the springs are sagging and i have more bounce than a globetrotter basket ball game
Old 11-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I have the same problem with my 89 4.0 but it usally only happend when 4 wheelin or onetime when i was towing 2 quads on my trailer going up a hill about 2 miles long on rt17 upstate NY. other than that it never happens when normal driving. so when i wheel i unplug the hose at the connector by the airbox. i guess a temp solution but it works for me now.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 PM

i have that same problem, its the large vent hose at the front of your valve cover that hooks to your air box lid. i pulled my hose off and ran it to a spot that was away from everything and attached a cheap autozone breather to to then capped off the hole in the air box
Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

when i got my 89 i noticed the same problem i figured it was blow by some what normal if your oil hasnt been changed in awhile and carbon clogs things up or something i just took off the pcv hose at the vaccum harness end the grommet end at the block with some brake clean idk if that actually helped i think when i changed my oil and filter and air filter the problem went away i also cleaned my throttle body as well the hose that goes to my air box. I might look into blocking off the hole one guy suggested
Old 11-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

I just put one of those small breather filters were the line comes out of the valve cover and put a ram air filter on it
goes a bit better for it now but my air filter was stuffed from so much oil
Old 11-25-2010, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

the hose at the front of the valvecover is to pull out the crank case pressure when running the small line at the back is for when you are at connstant speed at idle