Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 XJ suddenly died while driving questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 XJ suddenly died while driving questions

So I was driving today and my 96 just shut off. no stuttering at all just fine, then died. i coasted into a parking lot and tried to restart, no go and the check engine light is on. turns over just fine.

so im thinking fuel pump, i get under it and bang on the pump with a metal pipe i have. still a no go.

so i get it towed home. my question is this, i find it odd that if it is the fuel pump, is it common for it to just die with no sputtering? figured it would have given some warning...

i dont have a helper so i figure the best way to test this problem is to spray some carb cleaner down the intake and start it?

this will be the second time ive replaced the fuel pump but last time it was intermittent and when i bang on it it would come back on so getting no response to the same action this time was a little odd...

thanks!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Spark + Fuel = Start. Compression and air are also involved but not likely in your situation.

Don't assume that it is fuel. Always start by checking for SPARK as it is involved more frequently.

Pull a spark plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark, which may not be strong enough to start the engine.

IF you have a good quality spark, try spraying a small amount of fluid into the intake. If the engine starts and runs momentarily using this technique, THEN you have identified a fuel delivery problem.

For a 96, you need 49 psi of fuel pressure for the engine to start. The only way you can verify this is with a fuel pressure gauge. Some parts stores will rent you this tool.

Performing these 3 simple tests, and doing so in this order, helps you isolate the problem in the fastest possible way.

Report back what you find.

If you have no spark, the #1 cause is a bad crankshaft position sensor and the #2 cause is a failed ignition coil.

Last edited by tjwalker; 06-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:11 PM

thanks for the reply

ill try to get a buddy to help me tomorrow if i cant get it to start with the fluid...
Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 AM

ok, update tried the starting fluid, it acted like it wanted to start but then nothing. i replaced fuel pump anyway and still a no go.

i dont have a helper so i guess theres not much i can test right now?

i played with the cps a bit and it didint do anything. cleaned the connection etc but nope...
Old 06-12-2011, 05:33 PM

ok got a buddy to come over, def no spark. thinking coil? dizzy cap and rotor were pretty worn too so im gonna replace those as well...
Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

most common no spark fix is crank shaft position sensor cps
Attached Thumbnails 96 XJ suddenly died while driving questions-crankshaft_position_sensor_diagram.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tjwalker

If you have no spark, the #1 cause is a bad crankshaft position sensor and the #2 cause is a failed ignition coil.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM

so in the process of replacing the cps, i found that my front o2 sensor had found its way onto the exhaust pipe and the 4 wires were melted together... i taped them up and went ahead and replaced the cps anyway.

it now runs, i replaced some blown mini fuses under hood box etc.

the only issue is every once in a while it will just stumble for a split second (like its gonna die) and then will resume running normally. this happens maybe once every 3-5 minutes and it seems to happen only at idle. any ideas?

i also smell fuel now when it runs. not at idle but driving down the road. its not leaking under the hood anywhere but is it possible the pump is running too much? should i go ahead and replace the relay?

thanks

Last edited by eightsevenzero; 06-15-2011 at 01:20 PM.