Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89' Cooling System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 89' Cooling System Questions

I have an 89' cherokee 4.0 with an auto transmission and a potentially incorrect cooling system plumbing. My problem is that I dont not know how the hose from the radiator is supposed to connect to the rest of the system. I am assuming it should connect to the reservoir where I have provided an arrow, but dont know how.... If anyone has an older XJ like mine, could you take a look at these pictures and suggest how the system should be assembled.
Attached Thumbnails 89' Cooling System Questions-overflow-res.jpg   89' Cooling System Questions-radiator-overflow.jpg  
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM

i got a 90 4.0l auto but i dont got a rad cap on my rad i onlly got the expantions tank the plastic one and the hose in mine goes to a 3 way metal piece witch runs out of the top of the head and to the heater core and to the expantion tank. did you put that plastic expantion tank in yur self or is that how the 89s come cause from what i know the 89 -90 are spose to be the same. my rad is in the grill. if you put that rad in your self then i think you would need a over flow tank but they usually mount close to your rad cap, you could always try callin a chrysler dealer ship and explain whats goin on their would be able to tell you. sry man all i know hope this might help
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: i6 4.0l

someone has put a updated radiator into your jeep. but left the pressure bottle... i did the same thing with mine.

that is not a overflow bottle... its a pressure bottle that is made for closed loop cooling systems that have no radiator cap. like your jeep came stock.

you need to add an overflow tank someone and plumb that hose into it. i put one right between the fender and the air box on mine... and i also left the pressure bottle.

you could also take out the pressure bottle, and just put a double barbed hose fitting and connect the two hoses...

the open loop system is about 15500000x better than the closed loop junk.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by spiceman
someone has put a updated radiator into your jeep. but left the pressure bottle... i did the same thing with mine.

that is not a overflow bottle... its a pressure bottle that is made for closed loop cooling systems that have no radiator cap. like your jeep came stock.

you need to add an overflow tank someone and plumb that hose into it. i put one right between the fender and the air box on mine... and i also left the pressure bottle.

you could also take out the pressure bottle, and just put a double barbed hose fitting and connect the two hoses...

the open loop system is about 15500000x better than the closed loop junk.
Mostly correct - but I take exception to the last line.

I've had five RENIX XJs - one was bought converted. It ran hotter than the other four (by about five degrees,) and I was never able to do anything about that.

Properly maintained, there is nothing wrong with the "closed system" cooling. If it's so bad, why are OEMs going toward it? My wife's 2005 Verona has a closed cooling system, I had a 1992 Corsica with closed cooling, Volvo's been doing it for years. I'm quite sure there are more.

The only real problems with the closed cooling system:
- The OEM radiators tend to clog up and fail around 150-180Kmiles, per Jeep techs I know. Experience has borne this out. This has nothing to do with the closed system - replace it with a quality aftermarket radiator (CSF, Modine, Performance Radiator) and forget about it.
- The volume tank (plastic tank near firewall) is a little iffy after a few years. Keep a spare on the shelf, and replace it every five to seven years. I write the date on new ones when I put them in out of habit. Replacements can be had from Morris 4x4 Center for a reasonable price, including the cap (replace it as well, keep a spare in the glove box.)
- The cap can be difficult to locate - ergo, keeping a spare handy.
- When you change the coolant (flush and refill every two years!) an air bubble tends to form behind the thermostat. This can be dealt with by either "burping" the system (covered over and over again elsewhere) or by drilling the thermostat (which I've covered in several place, and don't want to go through again.) I prefer the latter - makes it automatically self-purging in case you manage to get a "steam void" in the cooling jacket.

Apart from those small concerns - which are common and easily handled - there's nothing wrong with the closed cooling system! Conversion is often an unnecessary expense and a needless amount of work - since it's typically done about the time the radiator loses efficiency anyhow, it's replacing the radiator that solves the issue (which gets done during the conversion - masking the fix in the first place.)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Engine: i6 4.0l

everyone has an opinion... but the closed loop in the xj are junk in my experience... couple it with the already borderline cooling capacity of the system...

ive blew up about 3 of those bottles before getting rid of it... overheated going up hills...

its not really a good thing when you have to do a bunch of stuff just to make the stock stuff work...
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM

These posts have helped greatly on the subject. I ordered up a radiator from autozone because the existing radiator has a crack and hopefully the new part will sort out the problem. Thanks again fellas!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by spiceman
everyone has an opinion... but the closed loop in the xj are junk in my experience... couple it with the already borderline cooling capacity of the system...

ive blew up about 3 of those bottles before getting rid of it... overheated going up hills...

its not really a good thing when you have to do a bunch of stuff just to make the stock stuff work...
How did you get rid of the pressurized system cause that's what I want to do and I want to know how you did it the bottle is a piece of ****
Old 10-23-2014, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Here we go again.....someone says a "open" system is better than a "closed" system, so let's do a conversion (and take the chance of doing it wrong). Nothing could be more false, wrong, incorrect, whatever.

Neither system is better at cooling the motor than the other. They both work fine when all of the components r in good shape. Both systems are pressurized. One has a pressurized bottle (closed system) and one has a non-pressurized bottle (open system). But again, both cooling systems r pressurized. If the bottle is bad, or whatever is bad (either system), replace whatever is bad, it's that simple.

Don't be suckered in when someone says a "open" system cools better than a "closed" system......it just doesn't. If something is broken (either system), repair/replace what's broken. Neither system is immune to something breaking.