Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4WD seems to slip and hesitate in 4 low

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6 cylinders
Exclamation 4WD seems to slip and hesitate in 4 low

So as mentioned in the title, when I put my transfer case into 4L it seems to hesitate and stutter when put under load.. (Example: put it in 4L and attempt to climb a small hill.)

When I put it into 4H there doesn't feel to be any issues. I drove it in 4H at about 20mph just to test it out.

I'm not 100% what kind of transfer case I have, I was told I have a 231. The jeep is all stock and original. Haven't owned it long. Less than a week.

I was told by a friend of mine that the 4wd is operated by a vaccum system, and he believes that the issue is a vaccum not being fully sealed. He drives an old YJ so I don't know if that's accurate or applicable to a 92 cherokee. I did find a dry rotted vaccum hose coming from the vaccum canister and I replaced it.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by SouthernPine766; 02-15-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:32 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Shift like this:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014
Old 02-15-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6 cylinders

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Shift like this:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that, but unfortunately that doesn't help my situation. What I'm saying is that when I'm in 4L and attempt to climb a small hill or put the jeep in a situation where it really needs to have some power put into the transfer case (like a load) the jeep shutters almost like it's slipping.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:51 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

How are your motor and trans mounts?

You're more than doubling the torque on your drivetrain in 4L.

And, that torque twists stuff like transfer case linkage......