Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4wd AX-15 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 4wd AX-15 Conversion

Good morning everyone

So after searching for a 4x4 ax15 manual trans and realizing that it's next to impossible to find one for a cherokee, i've decided to attempt to convert the broken 2wd trans over to 4wd considering i have to crack it open to fix it anyway. I know the rear output shaft for the 4x4 is shorter so i'd have to swap it out, but if I swap the rear of the trans with one from let's say a 4x4 automatic which are a dime a dozen, am I looking at running in to any issues bolt pattern-wise? Also, when this trans went out it had a grinding noise in every gear and while in neutral. Previous owners said it started doing it on a road trip, had it towed home etc... and have taken it to the store and back occasionally so my idiot self decided to attempt the 10 mile drive home thinking it was just the throw out bearing that was bad, and about a mile up the road the Jeep started vibrating real bad and then it sounded like glass shattering and wouldn't move anymore. Should I even try to resurrect this trans? I've got space and time and i've always wanted a 5 speed 4x4 Jeep. Thanks ahead!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I decided to further inspect after doing this post- Went out and grabbed the clutch disk, threw it over the splines and tried hand spinning it in every gear to no avail and got said grinding noise... until I went back to second and it went into gear! took it out of second and tried to put it back in, spun freely. Threw it as hard as I could into 4th and just like second, went into gear and tried to spin the back wheels. I'm thinking there's a syncro issue here...