Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

transfer case bearing service (np242)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default transfer case bearing service (np242)

so I learned yesterday that I need to crack open my TC in order to replace a bearing (my front yoke has significant play in it and I get a rumble in 2wd)., so I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into and replace everything I can while I'm in there.

I have a PDF version of the '95 FSM (mines a 96 but I figured TC is the same), so I'll follow that closely.

here are my questions/concerns that I want to address:

1- when removing or reinstalling the transfer case from the transmission, is there anything to watch out for other than supporting the transmission and transfer case? like is it possible to damage the input or output shaft by wiggling the transfer case around?

2- in my case, I'll replace the front seal and bearing, but I guess it would not hurt to do the rest while I'm in there. so by looking on the graphic below, what else is easily replaceable and probably needs replacement after 200k KM?

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...j/xj-np242.php

Right now I figured :

• 4- Front Output Shaft Oil Seal
  • 5- Inner Output Shaft Bearing
  • 19- Rear Output Oil Seal
  • 35- Output Shaft Bearing

I know shift pads should also be checked and replaced, but getting all that apart scares me so I'm not really sure if I want to get into that. Also I think the chain is still in good shape so I don't plan on changing it unless it's really loose.

I also heard changing a transmission mount while the TC is out could be a good idea.

3- Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Remove the driveshafts, disconnect shifter from transfer case, disconnect wiring connections, etc

put a jack under the transfer case, remove crossmember, lower jack and rest transmission on a stand

Six nuts holding the transfer case to the transmission, then wiggle it off

Buy a rebuild kit, it will come with bearings, seals, shift pads, o-rings, etc. Buy a good one to get good parts, otherwise you'll have to do it again. Depending on the usage, you may or may not want to replace the chain too.

You must buy a decent pair of lockring pliers (not snap ring pliers), the ones at Advance are good enough for a couple of uses. You also need a stiff putty knife to separate the housings that are glued together with RTV. A bearing and seal driver set is also a worthwhile purchase, given the low cost

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...torial-764168/
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...er-Case-Photos
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoChainChange.htm

There's also a 4-part video on youtube that's worth watching (parts 2 and 1 are swapped)

Last edited by ehall; 02-01-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

cheers for the links, did not come across those pages when i researched. most of them were for np231

I did find the videos but #1 already had the case opened so I didn't watch everything (the fact you say they were swapped explains why)