Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ Rear Door won’t unlock/open

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2000 XJ Rear Door won’t unlock/open

Hi guys. I was attempting to remove/replace the rear left passenger door latch assembly on my brother-in-law’s 2000 XJ and now can’t get the door open from the inside or outside. The power lock actuator had failed so I was going to replace it. I removed the door panel and was able to remove the bolts holding in the latch, but disconnecting the push/pull rods from the latch was proving to be too difficult and as it was getting dark, rather than continuing and possibly breaking something, I decided to put it back together and wait until the next day until it was light outside. I had only disconnected one of the rods, but snapped it back on before tightening down the latch bolts. The door closed and latched just fine but now it appears to be locked from both the inside/outside and I can’t unlock it. The power latch is dead so that doesn’t do anything. I think by mistake I put the child safety lock switch into the engage position which is why I think I can’t unlock it from the inside. With the door closed, it’s basically impossible to take the door panel off. The power windows still work so I can get the window down. Is there any way to somehow reach down inside through the window opening and unlock/unlatch the door? Could the dealership or a locksmith get it open? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by gr8biceps; 11-11-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Correct spelling error
Old 11-11-2018, 06:37 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you remove the rear seat bottom, you may get enough access to remove the door panel. Just a guess, mind you. Let me know what you find out because I own one of those suckers myself! I just went thru that rear hatch BS! (2000 XJ)
Old 11-11-2018, 07:25 PM

The car is parked a couple of hours away from me right now so I don’t have access to it. I know the rear seat bottom flips up but I THINK there is trim mounted on the door sill that actually wraps around the bottom of the door when it is shut. Would you mind taking a picture of yours and posting it here? I have a replacement latch and operated it manually by pushing the latch in using a screwdriver, then pulling he mechanism to release it. I’m pretty sure I have locked the door and can’t get the button to pull the release enough to unlock it. Fortunately, I remember that when you unscrew the retaining screw where the door handle and lock switch are, the assembly will come loose without the door panel coming off. So, I’m going to try that and then reach in and push/pull on the rod connecting the door lock switch. I’m betting that it will unlock the door and let me open it from the outside handle.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Boy, you're asking an awful lot, but I'll try anyway. It's currently 29* here and the jeep is parked in the total dark. My camera's auto-focus needs a little light to work and it doesn't work at all right now. I've only owned an XJ for about 3 months now and am not that familiar with the inside of the doors. My WJ on the other hand, I've replaced window regulators, door latches, repaired wires, and other stuff but nothing on the XJ YET. On the WJ, there are sliders and rods to the lock mechanisms but the XJ just seems to have rocker switches that don't seem to move. I can't see a F'ing thing out there! The XJ door panels have a flat flange that fits under the door gaskets when closed but they don't seem that long that they couldn't be pulled out. My Sport just has an overhead light and footwell light in the front and a cargo light so the back seat area is pretty dark.

I'm 73 and it's like walking into a refrigerator out there. I've got a trouble light and a 100 ft extension cord, but that's too much trouble at this point. Sorry.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-11-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:38 PM

Definitely DON’T do that! 😊. It’s no big deal, I’ll keep you posted on how it turns out - thanks!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Old fart with a wrench

I'm the "teacher" type of person and like to help as much as possible, but there are limits since I'm getting older. I don't mind helping as much as I can. I actually feel I learn something myself doing this kind of stuff.

BTW, it helps a lot when people come back to report what happens when they try things we suggest on the forum. I helps everybody who reads your posts in case the same thing happens to them. I know I've learned a lot about XJ's before I actually bought one. I've been driving and fixing my 2000 WJ for about 6 years now and thought I knew jeeps pretty well. Not so. XJ's are different enough that I've got to start all over again!

Just keep in mind this is an OPINION forum and post are just that, someone's opinion and not necessarily fact. They may be fact, but trust and verify.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-11-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by gr8biceps
Hi guys. I was attempting to remove/replace the rear left passenger door latch assembly on my brother-in-law’s 2000 XJ and now can’t get the door open from the inside or outside. The power lock actuator had failed so I was going to replace it. I removed the door panel and was able to remove the bolts holding in the latch, but disconnecting the push/pull rods from the latch was proving to be too difficult and as it was getting dark, rather than continuing and possibly breaking something, I decided to put it back together and wait until the next day until it was light outside. I had only disconnected one of the rods, but snapped it back on before tightening down the latch bolts. The door closed and latched just fine but now it appears to be locked from both the inside/outside and I can’t unlock it. The power latch is dead so that doesn’t do anything. I think by mistake I put the child safety lock switch into the engage position which is why I think I can’t unlock it from the inside. With the door closed, it’s basically impossible to take the door panel off. The power windows still work so I can get the window down. Is there any way to somehow reach down inside through the window opening and unlock/unlatch the door? Could the dealership or a locksmith get it open? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

did you ever figure this out? same happened to me with the child lock engaged