Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

Planning my lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Planning my lift

So... sometimes it's hard being a single guy. When I was married I had a wife to watch the bank account. Now it's just me. Not that I'm complaining but yesterday I almost bought a new gun. Then I remembered, "Hey dummy, you're supposed to be lifting the Jeep." LOL. Priorities... I have been doing research for a while and have decided for what I do I don't need a long arm kit. I know many people say to go that route but I just don't need it. My max lift will be 4" but might be 3.5". I only want 31" tires. I don't rock crawl, I avoid it like the plague, don't do deep mud or snow, just trail ride. My BIGGEST concern is ride quality. I don't want one of those kits where the spring rate is through the moon and it rides like a dump truck. My other concern is... this time I will be paying a shop to install it. I have installed many lift kits in my life but since my divorce I no longer have a driveway or a garage. My apartment building forbids working on vehicles in the parking lot. And my friends all have clean driveways that I don't want to mess up with dripping oil. So that is another reason not to go long arm, because the labor to have a shop install it would be way more than a short arm kit.

I have been reading lots of reviews and so far I think this is my first choice. It's a 4" lift with adjustable arms and all the reviews say the ride quality is great. It's $850 plus whatever the labor to install is. If you have suggestions for other kits that are not double the money I am open to suggestions.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...it-688-20.html

Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I've read a lot of peeps having the RC kit installed... now don't know exactly what's available for the ZJs... but if I were to ever do a lift on my XJ, I've heard better results (long-term) by going with a Zone brand lift instead.
Everyone has their preference, just chuckin' in my 2 cents from what I've heard and read from those that have gone the way of the lift.

Just remember... once you lift... you'll have a lot more to keep track of...because the true cost of lifting a vehicle isn't just in the lift kit itself.
One of the reasons why I've backed off doing a lift on mine. She's needy enough as it is. And I've got plenty of clearance for where I go off-road.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Same kit for $640.
Amazon Amazon

3.5" RC for $450
Amazon Amazon

Zone lift; http://zoneoffroad.com/suspension-li...nd-cherokee-zj
4Wheeler article installing Zone lift; http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/su...d-cherokee-zj/

BDS lift,pick you height. http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...0&yr=1993-1998

Regarding ride quality, the angle of control arms have a lot to do with it. Neutral angle (close to parallel to ground) allows control arms and suspension to be most responsive. Four inch lift on short arms will angle the control arms downward which will direct more force into chassis and less into suspension.

Last edited by SteveMongr; 04-21-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Please consider other kits
I am one that bought the RC 3.5 lift kit for my 01 Xj Sport
It is terrible. Ride quality is terrible, coils sagged
I would recommend IRO, Clayton, Icon, etc
RC is just a bargain,lift kit, not worth the price