Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

Need help with my new (to me) rig

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 5.9
Default Need help with my new (to me) rig

I searched for quite some time for the unicorn of ZJs and finally found one in good shape with somewhat low miles 165k - a 98 ZJ 5.9. It already had the long arm kit when I bought it and is sitting on 7” Clayton springs. Still has the stock running gear but that will change with time. It appears to have HD steering and has an adjustable track bar. I spent quite some time getting her to the condition where I felt confident taking her out on the trail without getting stranded.

I did a full tune-up, replaced all fluids, new oil and tranny pan gaskets, water pump, steering box, and added an iron man steering box brace with sway at drop brackets. Took her out the other day and she did great on a few intermediate trails in the Hollister Hills (home of the top truck challenge). I did notice some loud clunking going on when going over stuff with the wheel turned. I jumped out and had the wife turn the wheel while I took a look under. Low and behold, my center link is contact the sway bar link brackets on both sides when turning. I also noticed that my swaybar endlinks are angled back towards the front coils and that there is not a lot of space between them but don’t think they are making contact. This is my first wheeling rig and I’m really needing some help with taking care of this.

Many help from y’all would be greatly appreciated.