Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my rig needs a new rear end need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I think my rig needs a new rear end need help.

Ok well a while ago I brought my rig in to a shop to get rear wheel bearing, the guy drove my jeep and afterwords he told me that there was noise coming from the axle as well and the best bet would to get a new rear end. And today I went to get an alignment and the guy told me he notices that oil was coming out rear axle and the axle seals needed to be replaced, I just have a couple questions. First were should I look on the axle to see it leaking oil? If its have all these problems should I replace it or rebuild it? If I do replace it I was thinking about going with a chrystler. If I get a chrystler to put in it what are some things I need to look for and kno when looking for a used one, also how hard would the swap be?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

if you have axle seals leaking its possible you are low on gear oil and a pinion or carrier bearing is going bad. I personally would find a 8.25 29 spline from a pick and pull for cheap and just go that route. Look for one that has decent miles and the same gear ratio that you have. Also look at the rear brake lines that go from drum to drum and try to find one that isnt all corroded. I found a 29 spline 8.25 with a factory posi for $100 at a local j/y. The nice thing about xj's is jy's are usually chock full of them since they were popular and made for so many years. You can call a dealership with you VIN# and fin out what gear ratio yours has. Check in the glove box's at the j/y to see if the donor has a posi in it. A sticker on the lid will say you need to use an additive for the rear diff if the vehicle is equipped with a posi

Last edited by knuckleduster271; 03-06-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by knuckleduster271
if you have axle seals leaking its possible you are low on gear oil and a pinion or carrier bearing is going bad. I personally would find a 8.25 29 spline from a pick and pull for cheap and just go that route. Look for one that has decent miles and the same gear ratio that you have. Also look at the rear brake lines that go from drum to drum and try to find one that isnt all corroded. I found a 29 spline 8.25 with a factory posi for $100 at a local j/y. The nice thing about xj's is jy's are usually chock full of them since they were popular and made for so many years. You can call a dealership with you VIN# and fin out what gear ratio yours has. Check in the glove box's at the j/y to see if the donor has a posi in it. A sticker on the lid will say you need to use an additive for the rear diff if the vehicle is equipped with a posi
so i should look for one with posi? is the swap hard to do?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
so i should look for one with posi? is the swap hard to do?
I would look for a posi unless you plan to do a lunchbox locker then I would go with an open diff as lunchbox lockers wont work with a posi carrier. the posi will will give you alot better traction than an open carrier. The swap is fairly easy. it could be done easily by a novice with standard hand tools in an evening. Two floor jacks and a buddy would make it alot easier. You can reuse your u bolts if need be. i have re-used them without issues. Its all bolt in, Do you have a D35 or 8.25 in it now?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

If its running OK then just fill the diff with gear oil and drive it, if its bad and you know what your doing replace the seals but this requires knowledge. If you are an OK back-yarder then swap it out. But Dude its a jeep and as long as you keep gear oil in there it should be OK with a little leak. You can see the leak were the axle housing meets the pumpkin, or sometimes near the wheel. But unless you ran it dry it should be OK. As far as the Bering, it comes as a hub assembly and is easy to fix yourself.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by knuckleduster271
I would look for a posi unless you plan to do a lunchbox locker then I would go with an open diff as lunchbox lockers wont work with a posi carrier. the posi will will give you alot better traction than an open carrier. The swap is fairly easy. it could be done easily by a novice with standard hand tools in an evening. Two floor jacks and a buddy would make it alot easier. You can reuse your u bolts if need be. i have re-used them without issues. Its all bolt in, Do you have a D35 or 8.25 in it now?
well i did my lift along wit my buddys lift in his yota, so im hoping ill be able to do this. i have a d35 right now, when the time comes for lockers (wont be for some time now tho) i dont plan on lunchbox lockers. im just worryed about the break set up and everything. is it basically i direct bolt in?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89

when your head lights burn out you dont replace the entire jeep.

just replace the seals and bearings if they are going out. then you have new stuff. jy axles have worn bearings and might not last very long either then your in the same predicament your in now
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lambo
If its running OK then just fill the diff with gear oil and drive it, if its bad and you know what your doing replace the seals but this requires knowledge. If you are an OK back-yarder then swap it out. But Dude its a jeep and as long as you keep gear oil in there it should be OK with a little leak. You can see the leak were the axle housing meets the pumpkin, or sometimes near the wheel. But unless you ran it dry it should be OK. As far as the Bering, it comes as a hub assembly and is easy to fix yourself.
its not leaking at the diff, its leaking at the drums, my mechanic told me that not only is the bearings gone, theres noises from the diff and the best thing to do is to replace the rearend. i changed the diff oil in it about 2 weeks ago and cleaned it out. it quited it down a little but is still starting to howl.