Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my rig died! need new fuel pump??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242cyl
Default my rig died! need new fuel pump??

I got off work last night and dropped off to see my sister and visiting relatives with no problems. I had been having some issues that had been escalating in the past few weeks, such as my engine dying on some stops and red lights. Which I had blamed on the CPS after searching this and other forums. Well when I was ready to leave, my rig wouldn't start. It would turn over and sort of catch, but then it would just die. Since it was late (1am) I borrowed a car and went home. Today I loaded my tools in the trunk and went back to check on it, thinking I would get by with removing and cleaning the CPS. I turned the key, and it caught! Did it a few more times, no problem! So I loaded everything and headed for home. A few blocks away, she died at a stop sign! Again, same symptoms as last night, except add the smell of burning wire insulation. Popped the hood and there's the source of the smell, still smoldering, orange wire coming out of the starter solenoid. And the wires on both sides of the ballast resistor and the resistor itself, still hot to the touch! My question is will I have to replace all of this or just the fuel pump? What would be the least I could get away with, and what is a MUST DO?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

If I'm thinking right I believe the fuel pump resistor is on the drivers side fender, mine gets real hot and doesn't seem to hurt anything. Did you check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail? I don't think your starter would cause it to stall and not catch when turning over.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L 242cyl
Red face my mistake...

my bad! I posted starter solenoid when I meant to say starter relay...
the smoking orange wire has a black stripe, and it comes off the starter relay, not the starter solenoid... I believe it's the voltage feed to the fuel pump, I could be wrong.