Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning a 4.5" upgrade from my current 3" RC lift but have a couple questions first!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Planning a 4.5" upgrade from my current 3" RC lift but have a couple questions first!

I currently have the 3" Rough Country lift with full leafs. I have been running this setup since May of 2013, and now that the shocks need to be changed, I thought why not upgrade.

Since I already upgraded the leaf springs, I decided to go with the 4.5" add-a-leaf from RC : http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...kit-623n2.html

Now I have a couple questions first so I get everything right the first time (at least that's what I'm hoping for) :

- My XJ is a 1996, I have not had any problem so far with my driveshaft, no wobble or anything. If I do get a wobble from going higher, is there any negative sides to a t-case drop? A SYE really isn't in my budget right now.

- My track bar is not adjustable, but was changed during the first lift installation. I don't have the specs right now since I did not install it myself, but is doing a relocating hole enough for a temporary fix if it turns out to be too short? I heard the hole tends to get an oval shape after a while. How likely is this at 4.5"? I would eventually get an adjustable one if needed.

- Anything else I should know or should look out for? Either about the kit itself or anything you would've liked to know before doing a similar install (other than "don't get this kit, get this other one")

Thanks!

Last edited by Cane; 07-20-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Okay. If it were me, I would not buy an entire lift kit to move up an inch. That kit comes with an add a leaf and extended shackle to lift the rear. You will not need/want the add a leaf. Just the lift shackle will be perfect, and it will flex a bit better. Do yourself a favor and get adjustable control arms(at least lowers). And as for the track bar. It will be too short, there is no question about it. Yes, drilling a hole with work. But I would definitely save for an adjustable track bar. An SYE, is highly recommended at that height as well. A t case drop would probably work, but it seems pointless to lift another inch, only to lower the t case an inch.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Also. For the $450 that kit costs. You can piece together much better parts. I would suggest a pair of 1-1.5" spacers in front, lift shackles(and maybe even shackle relocation brackets) for the rear, adjustable lower control arms(if you want the best flex, go with some that have a flex joint) and an adjustable track bar.