Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Planning a lift, functionally and financially

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Planning a lift, functionally and financially

I recently picked up a 2001 XJ sport and have caught the bug while fixing some PO issues and minor upgrades. After looking at hundreds of posts I definitely want to do a lift, the original shocks are shot anyways so it will be easier to convince the wife. i'm leaning heavily towards a 4.5" lift so I don't wish I went bigger and probably 32" tires, or 33" if I loose my fear of cutting the fenders. I am already planning to buy the SYE (not sure which yet) and drive shaft with any kit.

Uses:
Hunting (two tracks)
Fishing
Mild offroading (when out hunting) and tame mud holes
Camping with the family (towing a small trailer, maybe a pop-up)
Trips to Home Depot for the never ending honey-do list (also a small flat bed trailer for sheet rock, 2x4s, plywood, etc.)

Narrowed down choices:
Rough Country 4.5" (mixed reviews, no quick disconnect sway bar I don't think, but the cheapest, how will the springs hold up to loading, pretty stiff?)

Rubicon Express Super Flex 4.5" (all positive reviews, expensive, not sure how the springs will hold up to loading, will they sag a lot with a ton of gear in the back?, pretty stiff? I hate rear sag)

BDS 4.5" (not sure about a sway bar disconnect, all good reviews, I have had their 6" kit before on a F-350 Diesel, worked great, most expensive by far, probably the stiffest springs I'm guessing so probably 5.5" lift when installed, sounds like it would hold up to the light towing and gear loaded in the vehicle)

My concerns in this order:
Quality/Support (warranty)
Price
Stiffness (ability to haul gear without major sag, stiffness without being terrible to drive on the highway)
Sway Bar Disconnect for the mild offroading

Anyways, I've already said a mouthful, sorry for the long post but you've guys have been a ton of help on my project already. I look forward to your advice, please let me know anything I may be over looking.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Short Bus Motorsports

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

I have the BDS 3" plus there 1" shackle and spacer. I do alot of the same things you are wanting to do with no issues.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

I have a 3,5" RE lift. And I probably carry somewhere around 200 to 300 lbs of tools, parts, tires, fluids, etc. around when I am offroading. No real sag, the lift yielded more than an inch extra lift when I put it on. So it rides at the advertised height now.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Engine: I6 4.0L

I'm hoping this thread can help others as well. I think this Jeep is the perfect vehicle for outdoor activities besides just straight offroading which everyone knows it is good for. When I had my F-350 and a 6" lift a buddy of mine with a stock XJ could do circles around me on pretty much any offroad trail.

As for the lift, I'm leaning more towards the RE or BDS 4.5" lift unless someone has some good feedback on the rough country lift they've had for awhile. I'm glad to hear the RE lift doesn't sag much with weight on it since it is the medium priced kit, they also seem to specialize in jeeps. But I did love the BDS lift on my truck.

I also think its cool that when you have a Jeep it's like you're part of a club or family, I never had so many people (or any for that matter) wave to me before but a lot of Jeeps I pass either check out mine (until they realize it's boring and stock) or just wave. I think that's pretty cool.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 AM

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0L HO

If your off road uses are for hunting and mud then please do yourself a favor and leave the sway bars connected. The only reason to disconnect them is for more articulation. The ride is much more comfortable with them connected, and you won't have to worry if the wife has to drive it for what ever reason. So I wouldn't figure in a swaybar quick disconnect as being necessary with the kit. That being said I have a 3" RC lift, and the AAL I have for mine is STRONG. A lot less rear drop with the same tow load.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 AM

I Have the RC 4.5 lift so far i like it alot i have one on my 97 dodge ram to. if you want a stiff ride go with their nitro shocks it will make it like a rock
Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Go with the RE kit. Rough Country is good enough for the price you pay. But if you want a nice, complete and quality kit go for the RE.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999

Get ahold of Joe at Endless Mountain Fab. He chats on this site also. I believe you can get an RE as I just did for a price that will surprise you. You sound Hesitant about the RC or whatever it was you said originally so get a hold of Joe. He can give you great advice and get you going. I searched for a long while as well and wanted the reputation of RE. Of course Joe carries Rock Krawler and I would have rather gotten that but...
You know how that goes.
The kit I bought shipped when Joe said it would and it's scheduled to arrive here with an adjustable trac bar and RE monotubes on Tuesday!
Can't wait.
Mike
Old 07-18-2009, 05:04 PM

Model: Wagoneer

I went with Mikes Recommendation and am ordering the RE 3.5" with full Pack from Joe
Not sure if I should get an Adjustable Trac bar or not though.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hylander
I went with Mikes Recommendation and am ordering the RE 3.5" with full Pack from Joe
Not sure if I should get an Adjustable Trac bar or not though.
Sounds good... I bet you were surprised by his prices... And he's not a BS'er. I like the fact that he's carried and/or installed TNT, Claytons, Rock Krawler and most any other lift out there. He can name all the pluses and minuses on all of them.
I was in the same boat you were I wanted something repectable like RE but the prices I was being quoted were turning me off. Then I met Joe on this site and realized I could get RE for the same prices as some of the "lesser" kits that I've heard mixed reviews on.
And no, I did not get paid to say this! When I can give good advice to others on this site I do so...
That's all!
Mike

Last edited by Mike1998XJ; 07-18-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Model: Wagoneer

Mike:
What Track Bar did you go with ?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

I have a rough country and i gotta say this is honestly prolly the toughest lift i've ever had. I can tow a 28' trailor with a full size Grand Cherokee on the back and it makes the back go down maybe 1" and that is a ton of weight on the trailor Mine holds up extremely well
Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

BDS 4.5" = $1739.
OME/JKS/DPG Hybrid 4+" = $1658... http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/OMEXJkits.htm

What I like about this kit over the BDS is...
JKS adj trackbar uses spherical bearing, eliminates the tie rod end.
JKS quicker disconnects are the easiest to operate, and beefy as heck.
Kit comes with disco tie-up cables.
JKS adj. control arms use OE rubber bushings, comfy and quiet.
Old Man Emu springs and shocks, arguably the best springs/shocks on the market (without going custom/resevior) for ride/load/flex.
New U-bolt kit.

Nothing bad to say about BDS or Rubicon, quality manufactures.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hylander
Mike:
What Track Bar did you go with ?
The RE adjustable... Didn't want to redrill the hole for the stock one. They aren't that much and make for a nice job. Joe can tell you the part number of the one I picked up.
Mike