New from Sarasota, FL. Putting an XJ to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New from Sarasota, FL. Putting an XJ to work.

Hey everyone,

I'm not a very good writer. I have a lot of thoughts, and am just not very good at putting them together how I want to. I just joined the forum tonight, and am going to give you an introduction without trying to bore you. I'm going to tell you a little about my hobby, and my work, and I will explain why I decided to make the XJ my next vehicle. Lastly I will ask a few questions that are on my mind.

Work: I am a door to door bill collector for the local cable company. I drive to 30-100 houses a day to either collect or disconnect their cable/internet/phone service. Because of this, I carry a 28' fiberglass extension ladder. I have been using as pickup, but am not happy being forced to use a topper, leaving the bed a PITA to access (I need a topper because I repo our digital converter boxes (up to 30 a week) and have to keep them protected from the rain). At the end of the week, I have to unload the boxes, leaving me to crawl to the front of the bed. I decided to go with an SUV, even though the other guys I work with who drive SUVs PROMISE me that I will have a few roaches in the truck because of the gross converter boxes.

Hobby: I am an expert level/semi professional MX/off-road racer. I carry one bike to most of the events, which has made a hitch carrier my primary hauling method. My current vehicle (ranger) keeps the tow hitch so low to the ground, it leaves me with clearance issues.

Why the XJ? Well my friends, I am a creature of function over form. While looking for an SUV, my first criteria was a long based roof rack. Second, the vehicle had to be comfortable, but not too nice to work out of. Another reason the XJ is appealing is that with the 40k miles a year I will be racking up, replacement parts should be easy to get my hands on. A good friend of mine works at the the auto-recycling store, and could get me a replacement engine or transmission for less than $500.

So there it is. Sometime this week I will be buying an XJ. I think I have my eye on one here in town.

Out with the old: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...5/100_0469.jpg

In with the new
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars...okee_109010527

Lastly, who has some good info on carrying a ladder? I went one thule's website and their kits are over $400! Should I use the gutters or OEM racks?

And some of my toys just because I like showing them off!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Banned

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

I raced yamahas... but anyhow welcome to CF from Michigan!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 AM

Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Welcome to CF!! I'm practically next door to you over in st. pete. Got any plans to lift your jeep?
F.Y.I.- If you like the wheels on your ranger, they are the same bolt pattern as an XJ if you want to keep them.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

to bad they killed off buell. i loved those things
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

No plans to lift. Fuel is my biggest single expense with my job. I leave the truck running all day to save the starter and keep the a/c cool, so I am already planning on taking a hit in that area. Coming from a 2.3L ranger to this is going to be a cut in my profit. I went to the dealer today to drive it but it was out at a shop getting keyless entry installed because they were having trouble with the power locks. I gave them a $500 deposit and am going to drive it tomorrow when it gets back.

I went to lunch with a friend of mine who owns a used car lot. He said we could clean up the ranger and he could get me $4000 for it. That is a lot better than the $1500 that they wanted to give me as a trade!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Engine: 4.0L H.O.

I wish mine had keyless entry, that'd be pretty sweet lol. And you said you carry a ladder? My dad has put a 20' aluminum ladder up on his factory roof rack and never had any problems with it. He just used a couple of little ratchet straps to hold it down.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

glad for you to be here.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM

91 XJ,

My ladder is 4 feet longer and a great deal heavier. And BTW, It's cool that you're from St Pete. I was born in Largo, and still go there to visit old friends quite often, so I'm always passing through St Pete.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CF from COS!!