Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

8.8 & abs...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Pez

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 8.8 & abs...

1989,I-6,4WD,Renix........ Looks like I have a line on a 97 Explorer 8.8........ What nightmares might I have to look forward to with ABS & this axles function? I understand I'll have master cyl mods(drum to disc) and u-joint yoke replacement but have NO idea if the ABS part will work. Thanks for all responses.....Pez
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

I have looked i can't find any on how to keep the abs with a 8.8 swap.But to me the abs system on the jeeps is a early style and really not needed.Only thing different with out abs if you slam on the brakes hard you can lock up the wheels and skid.As long as you don't slam the brakes to the floor you'll never know abs is not there.I'm the type that will pull the relay on a car to turn off the abs lol.As far as the 8.8 swap you will need to cut off the spring perches and shock mounts and weld on new ones to match the jeeps width and spring over vs the spring under the explorer used.If you look online for a 8.8 swap kit you can get everything you need to weld on.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Pez

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0
Default Thanks for that info....

Yep, I forgot to mention I'd need new spring perches and shock mounts....& thanks for that reminder! Good to hear it'll still function properly w/o abs system.....here we go headlong!!! Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

All abs really does is stop you from locking up your brakes.Have you ever stomped on the brakes hard and felt the brakes grab and let go real fast and maybe felt a pulse through the brake pedal?The pulsing is the abs stopping you from locking up the brakes that's its only job.For the 8.8 swap kit http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-288...-swap-kit.html