Introduction with questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Introduction with questions

OK guys, very new to this forum. Have lurked and searched but to no real luck. I have been looking for a "reasonable amount of agreement" on Which Years or Year makes for the "best" casual off road 4x4 while maintaining good driving ability on the freeway say in the 75mph cruising speed. Oh and 1995 or before so not to have to worry about Illinois emissions BS. Also want to make sure "parts" either new OEM or Aftermarket are going to be readily available and not unique to a specific year. Buddies got a '77 Mustang IIRC and its all different when he has to get stuff. Also had a co-worker build a Buick and for the same money I could have built two Nova's.

Years ago I'd had a stock '73 Travelall I think with an auto w/a 304 cid. It was not bad for going where others had gone before. Bone stock ran well but interests changed. Got a '88 Chevy 4x4 Burban didn't get gas mileage got gas yards. Pulled a horse trailer fine but was IMO too large for everyday or even trips to the Hardware store. I did a pick-up truck here and there 2 wheel drive but turns out I'm not a "Truck" guy. Drove a GEO Tracker an '93 Jeep (CJ?) and a Land Rover Disco and Freelander. The Freelandeer was crap Disco seemed too small the GEO ran forever was swell on the highway but was too "Cheap" CJ was my Brother's wife's daily ride and it was plagued was ghosts and demons. Wife's had two Honda CRV's nice car to cart the kids and toss in some folding chair to the park.

I'm looking for a 4 door yet could live with a two door, mainly to get out in to the wild. Love be able to take it out west or up north Heck anywhere out of the midwest lol. I'm not talking Rubicon Rock crawling but would not be opposed to maybe changing the rear-ends and axles and adding some ground clearance. MAybe getting off road in either the Smokies or the Rockies.

I work in a Maintenance Shop for a Manufacturing Facility just outside of Chicago. I have done repair work on and gone to school years ago for Automotive. I'm a darn good mechanic and better then most when it comes to welding and fabricating (comes with the job).

Oh and I don't want to spend a lot up front of course. I think I'll search the internet and eBay looking for a pretty "Rust Free" example. Miles don't mean much, my daily rides got 244K Miles.

So can someone tell me what to look for and what to look out for. What is know to fail on this or that. Those kinds of things.

Thanks in advance I hope to be around for a while get my feet wet here soon and then be able to give back when I can.