Hello from sunny (at the moment...) Milton Keynes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hello from sunny (at the moment...) Milton Keynes

So figured for once I would actually put up a "hello world" post on a forum when I sign up rather than thinking about it about a year and a half after I've been around there...

I first encountered the Cherokee in 1993 when they started selling them over here, and as an impressionable eight year old immediately decided that I wanted one, and as such started an obsession which lasted years. Thanks to the dealer in Aberdeen I was given a shedload of brochures and technical stuff at the time. We were nowhere near well enough off financially to even consider getting one at the time - rather we just about managed to keep our cars running by sheer willpower - as in the depths of Northeast Scotland having a car really isn't an option, it's a requirement.

Fast forward 23 years however and in a situation where we were looking for something suitable for regularly transporting four adults and on occasion either four bikes or a large dog, which actually had a bit of character and was comfortable I suddenly had that moment of "what are they going for these days?" and started poking around online.

...Tomorrow I'm heading out to look at and hopefully pick up a 1994 Cherokee in Limited SE spec. Not quite sure how I'd describe the colour, "pewter" is probably closest, a pretty dark silver. 107K miles on the clock and at least cosmetically from the photos I've seen looks to have been well cared for. Mechanically I'll make more of a judgement on when I get there tomorrow. It's a two and a half hour trip there so keeping my fingers crossed as it will be a waste of the best part of a day if it's not up to scratch...

Kind of reassured though in that I phoned up today to ask whether it would be possible to view the car today and was advised that it would be best to wait until tomorrow as they were putting a fresh MOT on it first thing tomorrow prior to sale despite the current test still running for a couple of months. No need for them to do that, but it tends to demonstrate confidence in the vehicle.

No doubt I'll be back afterwards with a dozen questions! Cherokee isn't a car I've had any direct experience with save for having had a chance to drive a couple back when I had a Saturday job at a used car dealership...but I'm no stranger to a set of spanners, with a current fleet including an 88 Saab 900i (one of the last 8v cars), an 87 Skoda 120LX, and a 98 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD which is generally the "actually getting stuff done" car, the role of which the Cherokee will probably take over. Won't be doing any massive miles though as I don't commute, so even as the main car it will be a bit of a quiet, pampered retirement.

Will find opportunities to give the offroad abilities at least a bit of light exercise I'm sure, even though it's been a long while since I last did anything like that. Had some entertaining times away from the tarmac ten years or so back when I had (a much missed) Lada Niva.

If folks are interested I'm sure I can post up a few photos of the fleet...and certainly will of the new addition if I do pick it up tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 09-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Welcome to Cherokee Forum, feel free to gander around the site and dig up the tidbits of info you need.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 AM

Thanks folks. As it turned out the seller got back in touch advising that while the body topside was perfect, that it turned out to be hiding basically terminal rust underneath. Both sills were basically missing, as were major bits of the nearside floorpan.

So back to watching and waiting patiently for the right one to turn up. My interest only really lies with the 93-97 version (first we got in the UK), as in particular the interior design is so different to anything else we saw over here, and I think the later versions lost some of that. Granted, because they were trying to appeal more to the European and world markets I'm sure...but I never claimed to be an average customer!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0ltr

Greetings...;-)
Old 09-09-2016, 05:53 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Welcome to CF.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:42 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

bet you are happy as Larry you got out from under that sale
Old 09-09-2016, 06:46 AM

To be honest it's more disappointment than anything, the seller was adamant that they wouldn't consider a sale until after the inspection was done - unusual for a dealer shifting a 23 year old vehicle - so it was a bit of a surprise.

No stranger to buying older motors here, so no chance I would have missed the rust when I looked at it, so worst I would have been out would be some fuel and a few hours of my time. As it was the guy's honesty saved me even that.

There will be others though I'm sure, just a shame the rust had a go at that example which otherwise had all the boxes ticked.