Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not Rusty's?

Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default Why not Rusty's?

I just have to know, and yes I want opinions and facts, why do so many people hate Rusty's lifts. Please state whether it is from direct experience (you actually had one) or hearsay (people said so or "you heard from a guy") . I am not trying to start an argument between members, I am just curious (since I have an 8" long arm kit on my 93) what should I expect and or does anyone have one and like it. I don't want to see comments like " you're an idiot" or "that was a bad choice" because I chose that lift based more on price and magazine articles rather than by personal reviews or using a forum for info. I see a lot of people bashing rusty's and don't know why.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I had my lift installed by a shop in Kansas while in the Army in '04, in '05 while moving from Kansas to AZ I rolled my jeep at 60 mph because I was towing a trailer that was improperly loaded (my fault) . The jeep has a chopped roof now and I will soon be transferring the lift to the '94 I just acquired.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I have had everything I purchased from rustys fail on 2 different vehicles in a relatively short period of time.

1. Tierod end insert bungs wallowed out on my TJ's tierod after a month or two. The tierod end popped out of it while driving 20 mpg I lost steering and almost wrecked. I called rustys and their customer service basically told me sorry it happened and we won't cover it cause the tierod is not bent.

2. Rustys lift on my 95 Yj. It was on the Jeep for 1 week and I had 2 main leafs snap due to metal defects I called rustys several times with no luck then I spoke to rusty at York pa jeepshow months later. I got my replacement springs in the mail shortly after that but bytime I got my springs i was running RE springs. And was out my original 450 plus the cost of RE springs.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Google their reviews online not many people like them for suspension parts.If one or two say something it might be hear say but you find 10 or more with pictures you kinda gotta believe it.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I know a few guys running their long arms in a pieced-together lift. Which is exactly what I'm doing because a friend rolled his and parted it out, so I have a set waiting to go on my jeep. They wheel hard, and they've not had issues with them. I also have a 4.5" leaf pack that's used, but it seems pretty solid.

I can tell you to stay away from their track bars..they are known for breaking and I actually had a broken one thrown in with my long arm kit that I use in case I need to beat someone lol... and Rusty's diamond plate door sills--they simply just don't fit. Don't waste your money on them. I have emailed them several times over the course of the past 9 months and they kept promising to send me new ones that fit correctly, never happened.

Looking back, I would've saved my money and went with something else, but I'll probably stick with the long arms since I already have them.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379937502.655546.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  42.0 KB

Here's enough for my choice.

Nothing against their springs... Just everything else I've seen break.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have a 3" rustys add a leaf and coils on my XJ. The add a leaves both cracked in half after 9 months, not a big deal to me since I only noticed it when i was pulling my packs apart to redo them for less lift anyway (the 3" adds gave me 4.5" of lift) I have no quarrel with their coils however, a tad stiff but I did get the uprated ones as Im amidst frame plating and adding a winch at some point.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

I still run their coils and leafs. Everything else I bought from them is long gone in the trash can.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3" rear springs are just about shot at less than 2 years.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Engine: 4.0 I6

I have 3" springs and leafs. Had them about 2 years and still going strong. I agree they ride a bit stiff though... And the shocks are nothing to write home about.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by dzeinert
I have 3" springs and leafs. Had them about 2 years and still going strong. I agree they ride a bit stiff though... And the shocks are nothing to write home about.
I have the same setup. It's been fine so far.
The other problem with Rustys, besides their sometimes questionable product, is the cost of shipping. They charge more than most of the other suppliers. The total cost of a comparable item will be cheaper elsewhere.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I have their coils and leafs, no complaints here. They were a little stiff before I added my new bumper and winch, but now they are just about perfect.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Banned

I've got the 3.5" with full leaf packs. I haven't had any issues except dealing with their customer service when they sent me the wrong parts. I paid to ship 22lbs of parts I didn't want. I paid to send them back. And I had to spend the money on them, so I got to pay shipping a third time for another 20lbs. I was so happy, shi....
Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I had the rear springs and front coils and I just recently swapped them out. The rear had two springs broken on one side but, I honestly don't know how old the kit is being it was on the Xj when I bought it. The long arms are popping and banging and they squeak like crazy no matter how many times I grease them and they are not that old, maybe two years at the most. So next year they will be gone and replaced..
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM

I have the 3" kit on my xj. I also added their quick discos and picked up a rustys track bar used. My only complaint so far is the rake back to front. It needs 3/4 coil spacers to make it sit more level which will probably also require lca's. I'm not a hardcore wheeler so it serves its purpose for my use which is a more capable hunting vehicle.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96camoxj
I have the 3" kit on my xj. I also added their quick discos and picked up a rustys track bar used. My only complaint so far is the rake back to front. It needs 3/4 coil spacers to make it sit more level which will probably also require lca's. I'm not a hardcore wheeler so it serves its purpose for my use which is a more capable hunting vehicle.
How long have you had the lift installed? My leafs have settled after 18mo to damn near level. I do still have rake though cuz of the shackles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why not Rusty's?