Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to Pick Up From the Junkyard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default What to Pick Up From the Junkyard?

I'm heading to JY tomorrow or the day after to pick up a new DS for my SYE and maybe an overhead console if I find a nice one and maybe some WJ seats with heating coils if I can find a nice pair. Also, maybe some skid plates, depending on condition again of course.

Point is, I always like upgrading my jeep with whatever I can find. What are some common things that come stock from other platforms that would be useful to bring over to my xj?

Back to the DS real quick, I have about a 5" lift in the front, what length DS am I looking for, and which platform has it?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Auto or manual trans in your jeep? Auto can use another auto shaft, manual you need a zj shaft without cv joint. Measure it first then go from there
Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 98cherokee531
Auto or manual trans in your jeep? Auto can use another auto shaft, manual you need a zj shaft without cv joint. Measure it first then go from there
It's auto, do you mean that I can use my stock one? I'd measure it and all but I'm actually at work and I want to get eerything figured out while I've got some off time.

I also found a link to thread of jeepforum with a great guide on some things to snag at a JY: here
Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

703 Injectors!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Depends on what year you XJ is. Should really update your sig with that information, would help us out a lot in answering your question and further questions you may have.

Drive Shaft - look into purchasing a Tom Woods DS. They are great, specially if you have lift. I wouldn't trust one from a JY, as it might be bent/etc. Check out: http://www.4xshaft.com (tom woods DS) and click the link for Cherokee XJ. It shows how to measure your DS so you get the right one. Also their prices are not that bad for a high quality shaft.

Also look into doing an intake manifold swap if you have an older XJ. Claims of 10-15HP just for the swap, not to include also swapping to the injectors. Great guide on the swap at: http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...L-DYNO-NUMBERS!

All I can think of at the moment, besides grabbing any parts you may already need for the XJ. Just remember to bring all your tools so you don't have to make the drive home for a tool you need!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by kissthis66
Drive Shaft - look into purchasing a Tom Woods DS. They are great, specially if you have lift. I wouldn't trust one from a JY, as it might be bent/etc. Check out: http://www.4xshaft.com (tom woods DS) and click the link for Cherokee XJ. It shows how to measure your DS so you get the right one. Also their prices are not that bad for a high quality shaft.
I can never condone buying a tom woods shaft for stock applications in an XJ. after wheeling the ***** out of junk yard shafts they hold up great (untill you dent them and they twist open like a tin can). if the ujoints look good and it looks pretty straight, I say run it from the junk yard

the better option is support your local driveline shop. tom woods gets enough money. take your stock driveline in and get it re-tubed thicker and you can even have them rebuild the double cardan and replace the ujoint if you dont want to do that yourself. for MUCH less $$ than tom woods
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

I got in touch with my local driveline shop and they never got back to me. Went with a Tatton driveshaft. dopes! I would have loved to support a local shop even if it cost more.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM

I stopped by the local junkyard and they didn't have like anything honestly. They had like 3 older xjs and 2 zjs. I got the tensioner bolt I really needed but that was it. One of those zjs had a gas tank skid if anyone wants it.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kgm
I got in touch with my local driveline shop and they never got back to me. Went with a Tatton driveshaft. dopes! I would have loved to support a local shop even if it cost more.
I agree, I would love to work with local shops more too, but they need to get with the fricken times. If I'm lucky enough that they even have a website, it's like from 1999, and of course they don't check their email, and I also have not even had calls returned. How the heck do businesses like that even stay in business?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:31 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
I agree, I would love to work with local shops more too, but they need to get with the fricken times. If I'm lucky enough that they even have a website, it's like from 1999, and of course they don't check their email, and I also have not even had calls returned. How the heck do businesses like that even stay in business?
Yeah it's a real tragedy and also god damn annoying. I am willing to pay a few bucks extra (though I really don't see any reason I should have to) to support a local biz, and I have to bust my *** to do it? Sorry, you lose! That's why bad businesses close. I'm not going to give my order to the cook and still tip the server. It's one or the other