Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case drop kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transfer Case drop kit

Im trying to install a transfer case drop kit from Rustys on my 99 Classis. The crossmember attaches to the frame with a stud and bolt on each side. The instructions said to remove the stud but there was no way it would twist out do to rust and Im not sure it was threaded in anyway. It seems to be pressed in. So I cut the stud off with a cutting tool and planned on drilling out the stud, tapping the hole and continuing on with the project.
I can't get the stud drilled out. I have been through a ton of drill bits. It was going good but the hardness of the metal seems to have changed about 1/2 inch in and I can't drill anymore.

How have other people installed a drop kit on the XJs with the stud?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

your supposed to put a pair of vice grips on the stud and remove it that way and yes it is threaded in not pressed so now you should just keep drilling
Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

^^^ what he said, heat and pb would have helped to get the stud out, with vice grips or doing the double nut to make it a bolt. hopefully you have only done this to one side and can work on the other side with this information. as the above poster said, keep drilling now and tap it. it will help to step up, i had this happen on my sway bar link bolt that was pressed in yesterday. took about 3 hours to get it drilled out, and went through a few bits.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Converted96
^^^ what he said, heat and pb would have helped to get the stud out, with vice grips or doing the double nut to make it a bolt. hopefully you have only done this to one side and can work on the other side with this information. as the above poster said, keep drilling now and tap it. it will help to step up, i had this happen on my sway bar link bolt that was pressed in yesterday. took about 3 hours to get it drilled out, and went through a few bits.
Should have used a pitman arm puller
Old 09-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by OOdynamite
Should have used a pitman arm puller
renting one for the other side when i get to it here this next week. then im going to have to drill it out to 1/2", but that tool should keep the cussing to a minimum that day.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM

I tried the visee grips for awhile but it absolutely would not budge. When I dropped the transfer case a few months back I broke off on of the bolts and had to drill and tap that.
Almost every bolt on this jeep sso far has broken off. All 4 of the rear top shock mount bolts broke.
Based on that I didn't waste too much time trying to twist out the studs. Unfortunately, the studs seem to be made of harder stell then the bolt. Drilling went OK for awhile but the last 1/4 - 1/2" is just really difficult and Im going through bits like they were butter.

I put it back together with only one bolt on each side of the crossmember and I am taking it to the local driveline shop. They are the only shop in Chicago I have found that will install customer supplied parts and take over in the midddle of a project.

When I talked to the shop owner, who I know fairly well, he said, "you don't just drill and tap those studs. They are a real *****"
Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Seasoned Member

That sucks. Sometimes taking it somewhere with a lift and more tools ends up being the only option. Good luck to you and them.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Converted96
That sucks. Sometimes taking it somewhere with a lift and more tools ends up being the only option. Good luck to you and them.
Thanks!!

Unfortunately I think the labor to clean this mess up is going to take the funds I had on reserve for an SYE
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Year: 1998

I use a hole saw, drilled a decent sized hole above the welded nut, dropped a nut on the protruding stud, welded the nut to the stud, and threaded it the rest of the way out. About ten minutes work.