Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYE with front shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default SYE with front shaft

Ok, so the next thing I'm doing to the xj is a SYE. I know there are a ton of threads on this already but I can't find my exact setup. I'm doing the full SYE kit not a HnT.

Specs:
2001 xj 4door with 231 and 4.5 lift

I would like to use a stock shaft if possible! Anyone that has experience with this setup advice would appreciated. If the stock shaft works? what SYE did u use
Old 01-28-2016, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bender32
Ok, so the next thing I'm doing to the xj is a SYE. I know there are a ton of threads on this already but I can't find my exact setup. I'm doing the full SYE kit not a HnT. Specs: 2001 xj 4door with 231 and 4.5 lift I would like to use a stock shaft if possible! Anyone that has experience with this setup advice would appreciated. If the stock shaft works? what SYE did u use
I used advance adapters. One of best in the market. Stay away from rugged ridge.

I used stock front driveshaft on my 99 with 4.5 lift, no problem.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you truly want to do it right.

http://www.customdriveshafts.com/
Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by XJwonders
I used advance adapters. One of best in the market. Stay away from rugged ridge. I used stock front driveshaft on my 99 with 4.5 lift, no problem.
+1.

AA with OEM front @ 4.5. Even worked when I went to 6.25" on my last jeep.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Ihave a teraflex SYE with a front ds. Im sitting at 5.5. I have vibes but i havnt taken the tcase drop out yet.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used advance adapters. One of best in the market. Stay away from rugged ridge.

I used stock front driveshaft on my 99 with 4.5 lift, no problem.
h

Have a question what are the issues with the RR sye's? If you recall I picked up 2 of them several yrs. back on a ebay special for $99 each and sold the other so I only had $50 in the one I installed. So no issues so far but hadn't been aware of needing to watch for anything either, advice?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
h Have a question what are the issues with the RR sye's? If you recall I picked up 2 of them several yrs. back on a ebay special for $99 each and sold the other so I only had $50 in the one I installed. So no issues so far but hadn't been aware of needing to watch for anything either, advice?
as u know, I rebuild and sell transfer cases along with SYEs on it. First few was Rugged Ridge, and all of them was defective and poorly cast/machined.

The area on the tail housing where the shift rail goes up into it, is not cast properly so there's extra material on the internal walls and the shift rail would hit the sides when shifting. I had to grind the material away from the walls to clear the rail.

Another issue is the rear yoke that is machined too small (the area where the seal contacts the yoke) causing the fluid to leak out.

Another issue before the yokes was defective seals. It kept leaking no matter how new it was.

Those bearings that came pre installed on the tail housings have short life span. I have gotten reports from customers who had to get the bearings replaced after a year or so. I'm thinking either they used cheapest bearings available or because the yokes were poorly machined and allowed dirt/water/stuff to enter the tail housing and toast the bearings.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by 2000CHERO
+1. AA with OEM front @ 4.5. Even worked when I went to 6.25" on my last jeep.
X3 on this and also the original quote.

Advanced Adapters SYE with the stock front shaft in the rear of my 99 at 5.5-6" of lift. No vibes on the highway and hasn't destroyed itself while wheeling (yet).
Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

i run a crown sye kit and a stock front shaft in the rear i am at 5" of lift on 235/85/16 tires all is working great and has seen 30k road miles and tons of trail miles since 2011 i carry i spare shaft that will fit front or back.... love it
Old 01-29-2016, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

as u know, I rebuild and sell transfer cases along with SYEs on it. First few was Rugged Ridge, and all of them was defective and poorly cast/machined.

The area on the tail housing where the shift rail goes up into it, is not cast properly so there's extra material on the internal walls and the shift rail would hit the sides when shifting. I had to grind the material away from the walls to clear the rail.

Another issue is the rear yoke that is machined too small (the area where the seal contacts the yoke) causing the fluid to leak out.

Another issue before the yokes was defective seals. It kept leaking no matter how new it was.

Those bearings that came pre installed on the tail housings have short life span. I have gotten reports from customers who had to get the bearings replaced after a year or so. I'm thinking either they used cheapest bearings available or because the yokes were poorly machined and allowed dirt/water/stuff to enter the tail housing and toast the bearings.

All very good info if I had known that I would not have bought them at any price lol. The 4wd shop that does all my work said the fit and finished seemed to be fine (he has been in business for just over 25 yrs).

So far have had none of those issues, but they may very well become an issue and if it does you think the AA's are about the best for a replacement? Mine is not a DD and in water and mud a lot of the time around here along with red clay. Less than 2500 total miles since it was installed a lot of the time we trailer it to where we are going just in case of a major problem.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 01-29-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
All very good info if I had known that I would not have bought them at any price lol. The 4wd shop that does all my work said the fit and finished seemed to be fine (he has been in business for just over 25 yrs). So far have had none of those issues, but they may very well become an issue and if it does you think the AA's are about the best for a replacement? Mine is not a DD and in water and mud a lot of the time around here along with red clay. Less than 2500 total miles since it was installed a lot of the time we trailer it to where we are going just in case of a major problem. Thanks for the reply!
if you have no problems so far Stay with it. U could get an AA sye and save it in case if u want for a peace of mind