Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

1998 XJ Classic build NEED ADVICE

Old 01-27-2016, 07:27 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 XJ Classic build NEED ADVICE

I just bought the jeep last week in a sad state of disrepair. Don't get me wrong, she's a PERFECT fixer upper. Just had an owner that didn't want to fix things the right way. For starters the headliner has 3 million staples in it. In place of a gas cap there was a shop rag :/ No center dash trim or radio. The positive batter cable was loose so instead of tightening it(common freakin sense) the *** shot screws through it to take up slack.
All those things and many other issues like those are already fixed/in the process of getting fixed. Now to my current dilemma.....the rear windshield...ya'll will LOVE this. The arms lost compression and the glass shattered when it slammed. Instead of buying a new windshield he custom cut diamond plate, screwed it in (with lots of screws), and used auto seam sealer(over killed the sealer too)

To do it right it'll take days to fix. Should I spend that time fixing his disaster or buy a new hatch? If there's an option out there to get a split hatch where can I find one??

I'm sure I'll post a lot more questions. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first go around with a jeep. I'll put pics up tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Sounds like you have quite the fixer upper. Cherokee's are known as the "Disposable Hero" in that there were so many made that you can virtually repair all that stuff by going to a local junk yard or two. It would be much easier and cheaper to fix those issues with a trip to the junk yard than you spending money and countless hours fixing the screwed up hatch, headliner, and dash. Other things like the battery cables, radio, and gas cap can be bought new for fairly cheap.