KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Interior dash trim modification

Old 01-06-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Interior dash trim modification

Hey guys - my first time posting and would appreciate some of your opinions. I just bought a 2016 latitude last week and am already looking to make a few modifications to it. First up, my model is silver billet with black cloth interior. I wish I had paid closer attention, because the day after I bought it, I noticed that the interior dash trim is a golden beige color. Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but I hate it and think it looks quite stupid with my cool tone color scheme. Especially since the interior door handles are bright silver. The gold trim looks like it belongs with beige seats or something. I just want it to be the same silver as the door handles. So, I immediately called the dealer and asked if there was any way that they would work with me to get it changed (without costing a fortune, since the car is brand new) and the basic answer is NO. Fair enough, I should've paid more attention to the details when I test drove it. So, I had them give me a quote for parts and service...they came back with $530 for the parts and then $2500 for labor

Obviously, I will not get that done through them. Anyone else out there been through something similar? Did you do the modification yourself?? I don't feel comfortable doing it myself as I have no clue what to do. I also don't want to threaten my warranty...

I'm taking it to my paint and body shop next. They told me over the phone that the dealer quote was absolutely outrageous, but they won't be able to give me their own quote of course until I take it in. Any advice?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The devil is in the details, and speaking of details you may want to move this over to the correct Cherokee thread, your talking to XJ guys who don't have much in the way of Gold accents in their interiors. But with that said in my professional opinion 3000 to spray some trim pieces seems a little absurd. Assuming you are ok with them just painting it and without seeing how many pieces you are talking about i would say no more than $500-$750 parts & Labor.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:05 PM

Thanks, XJRed96. I'm new to posting in forums...will move this thread once I figure out where to move it

I think you are right. The more I think about, the more it makes sense to just paint the trim.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to this Forum too. My 2014 Limited came with the matte silver trim which I like, I even found matching door window switch bezel. Some members have added piping to the doors and dash, the Trailhawk people like to match the red trim, very easy to do. I also added stainless steel threshold covers where my foot hits. My personal touches may not be for everyone.
Attached Images   

Last edited by GCWIMMER; 01-07-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 PM

Hello again, GCWIMMER

That is a beautiful interior. The silver trim you have is exactly what I want. If my jeep wasn't at the shop having the wheels powder-coated right now, I'd post pics. I think I'm leaning toward painting the existing trim this color, instead of paying to have it all replaced...but definitely do not trust to do it myself. Where did you order the switch bezel from?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whitneee
Hello again, GCWIMMER

That is a beautiful interior. The silver trim you have is exactly what I want. If my jeep wasn't at the shop having the wheels powder-coated right now, I'd post pics. I think I'm leaning toward painting the existing trim this color, instead of paying to have it all replaced...but definitely do not trust to do it myself. Where did you order the switch bezel from?
eBay, there are more than one sellers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matt-Chrome-...pTbeFG&vxp=mtr it also fits the KL Cherokee. If you do get them dry fit first because there is a top and bottom.