Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sway bar link size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Question sway bar link size?

just had some work done on my 99 xj and the mechanic said i'm gonna need new sway bar links but he can't order them because he doesn't know what the lift is. I just bought it and I also don't know the lift, because the PO didn't know either. He said he thinks it's a 3" lift. there's 32" tires on it, but how can I figure out what size links to buy? from what I hear it's not a difficult/expensive job.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:23 AM

UPDATE: I found this kit that says its for 3" and up. So just to be sure, how do I measure the actual lift height?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensio...t_pn=EXP55597B
Old 07-26-2016, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Tanner Price
UPDATE: I found this kit that says its for 3" and up. So just to be sure, how do I measure the actual lift height?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensio...t_pn=EXP55597B
Just buy adjustable sway bar quick disconnects from rustys offroad
Old 07-26-2016, 11:52 AM

Okay. I'm not really looking to drop $130 on this though, just spent a lot on everything else on the front end. any cheaper alternatives?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Okay. I'm not really looking to drop $130 on this though, just spent a lot on everything else on the front end. any cheaper alternatives?
What makes you think the links are from a lift company? Post some pics. Most small lifts just leave the stock links
Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 PM

Well I was just stating what the mechanic said, Im picking up the jeep later today so I can post some pics then. If they are stock, would that explain how stiff of a ride it is?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Well I was just stating what the mechanic said, Im picking up the jeep later today so I can post some pics then. If they are stock, would that explain how stiff of a ride it is?
No it wouldn't effect the stiffness of the ride. All lifts that I know of with 3 inch kits use stock links with some providing drop brackets for the sway bar
Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 PM

Talking

just had some work done on my 99 xj and the mechanic said i'm gonna need new sway bar links but he can't order them because he doesn't know what the lift is. I just bought it and I also don't know the lift, because the PO didn't know either. He said he thinks it's a 3" lift. there's 32" tires on it, but how can I figure out what size links to buy? from what I hear it's not a difficult/expensive job.
As a rule of thumb, hold the sway bar up so the tip is even with the bottom of the frame. Then measure from tip of the sway bar to where the bottom of the link would mount. That is a good starting point. If you are stuffing the tire further into the wheel well and get the top of the sway bar to dent the inner fender wall, you probably need correct length bump stops.

Many here will tell you to just yank the swaybar and be done with it.

I like the options, hence I got JK Quick Disconnects.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:02 PM

They actually are the quick discos. Theyre just old and crappy. Aside from the annoying noise, how long can i run them? Funding is very low right now...
Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 PM

Talking

They actually are the quick discos. Theyre just old and crappy. Aside from the annoying noise, how long can i run them? Funding is very low right now...
Are they adjustable quick disconnects?
I'm having a hard time picturing how they are making noise?

The only bushings should be on the bar itself where it mounts to the frame. The disconnect ends are bolt on and don't have any bushings (?)

What is making noise?

Any pics of the setup?
Old 07-29-2016, 11:28 AM

its like a clicking or cracking noise usually when I'm turning left and then abruptly turn right and vice versa. I know it's not any of the tie rod ends because they're all brand new with the exception of the one that connects to the pittman arm. I'll post pics after work today.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

its like a clicking or cracking noise usually when I'm turning left and then abruptly turn right and vice versa. I know it's not any of the tie rod ends because they're all brand new with the exception of the one that connects to the pittman arm. I'll post pics after work today.
Hmmm I dont know if that woukd be the sway bar links though. Like a couple of us have said, post some pictures
Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 PM

Talking

Let's take a step back. The original problem was you didn't know what length swaybar links to buy because nobody new the height of the lift. Correct?

It sounds as we progress that you have swaybar links installed now, hence the suspect for noise.

So .... take the existing swaybar links off and measure them. If you need longer links at least you will know to add X-inches to current Y-Length.

And, while they are off, test drive the jeep and see if makes the same noise.

If so ... not the swaybar links.
If not ... swaybar links.

Will wait for pics.

PS. On a side note. Do you have a mechanical front locker?

Last edited by Reble; 07-29-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 PM

I apologize I'm a rookie as far as jeeps go, just bought this two weeks ago. The links are quick disconnects, albeit old ones. Today I disconnected them, zip tied them up and took a drive around the block and voilą, no popping noise. So, since I don't don't the exact height of the lift, the adjustable quick disconnects will be what I'll buy. Now, while I was driving, it turns out the original noise and reason I took it to the shop (tie rod ends and ball joints) is still there. Sounds like ball joints, but they're brand new on that side. Any other causes of a low wobble noise when going over bumps(other tan tie rod ends and ball joints? The only thing that's not new on the front end is the joint that connects to the pitman arm, but it doesn't look bad, and theres not much play in it, if any.