Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better than Box Store Track Bar Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims
Default Better than Box Store Track Bar Suggestions?

So the track bar from A_______ lasted about a year and a half, not bad, but wth. The joint on the frame side is now wobbling for the last week, it did get me through a year of bad ball joints etc, but now it's shot again. It just doesn't seem that a joint that takes all the torque of locating the front diff axle under the front end was ever meant for what looks like a single tie rod end, and a smallish one at that.
Any recommendations for a better quality bar without going to a different set up?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Are you wanting a better bar with the tie rod end?
Or
Are you wanting to buy one that uses something besides a tie rod end but still uses the stock frame mount?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by Constantine
Are you wanting a better bar with the tie rod end?
Or
Are you wanting to buy one that uses something besides a tie rod end but still uses the stock frame mount?
I guess the bar is ok enough, but I do want either a bigger stronger tie rod end, or, something that uses the stock frame mount.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Ok, here is one that has a larger, mo' better tie rod end.
As far as I know, it's the only one available.
http://www.morris4x4center.com/rough...pysRoCiFHw_wcB

The two of these use the stock mount and replace the tie rod with a heim joint.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/slf...CwuxoCsyXw_wcB

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/rex...8edhoC56Dw_wcB
Old 07-22-2016, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

[QUOTE=Constantine;3281956]Ok, here is one that has a larger, mo' better tie rod end.

Thanks, the first one looks like it is recommended for a lifted rig while mine does sit high, it is stock..so not sure that would work.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:01 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by Constantine
Ok, here is one that has a larger, mo' better tie rod end.
http://www.morris4x4center.com/rough...pysRoCiFHw_wcB
The new ones have a much larger TRE than the earlier versions. That pic is actually a pic of the old version. Here is the TRE on the new version and a pic of the old version next to the new version. Are there better brands, absolutely. Will you "die a horrible death" if you buy this one, no. Lol
Attached Thumbnails Better than Box Store Track Bar Suggestions?-received_10208597636012099.jpeg   Better than Box Store Track Bar Suggestions?-20160705_172615.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Panhard bar is a better upgrade essentially taking away the swivel action of the frame end connection but there are only a couple companies that make them for stock height and they are expensive. I can't remember the companies either but Google knows. And you will have to change the frame mount but it's not too bad and one time deal. I know people can custom make them for you but it will be expensive also because of the bend in the bar needed to clear the diff housing at stock height.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:47 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah so I wimped out and went back to AZ because of the lifetime warranty it was free.
I reason it will buy me a couple years to review the options. So, upon looking at it, I think the new one IS slightly heavier. Not in yet, letting the blaster soak in and mustering my courage. Having done this job twice on mine and twice on my sons XJ, I think it's scary that Im getting good at it. Will update.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Not much support for "heavy duty" on stock size. Once/if you lift it, go for Rubicon Express; you'll never think about your track bar again.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thebyus
Not much support for "heavy duty" on stock size. Once/if you lift it, go for Rubicon Express; you'll never think about your track bar again.
Nice. I'll keep that in mind. I did the job yesterday, it was 80F outside at 7am, started around 10 and went straight through to about 5pm. Lost 10 lbs in the process, sweated through 2 T shirts. I had never replaced it after all, just the bushing on the axle side, must have been thinking of my sons xj which I did twice. So, it was a chore and fought me every inch of the way, the axle side bolt I had to sawzall out, and the frame side the constellation nut was unrecognizable from rust, couldn't get anything on it despite using an inspection mirror and trying to clean it up. Ended up unbolting the 4 bolts that hold the frame side mount it, of which the two in the wheel well were loose, and taking it out that way. Even then that nut fought me, but what worked was using a chisel to back it off. Went back together clean, used a spare old front hub bolt and a new locking grade 8 nut on the frame side, and found my banjo bolt on the caliper loose and leaking (backed it out and heard a pop, fluid on ground, had an intermittent very slight pedal fade). Still have to check torques but it's done. Ugh what a job. Keeps me in shape though. I think I like complaining about it but really let's face it, this is an athletic event. Lucky I had my impact gun.

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 07-30-2016 at 07:20 AM.