Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Input on a New Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need Input on a New Tie Rod

My TRE's are shot, so i have decided to get a cromo tie rod and change that out while im at it.

Question is, what do you guys think I should go with? Im thinking around the big daddy/JKS price range but im unsure which of the two i want to go with. Anybody have any input on which one i should go with over the other?

-Kyle
Old 02-29-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I wish JCR still had the bolt on steering upgrade. I ordered one just before they dropped it, and it was super beefy. I'm running their 1-ton steering now, and will probably be staying with this for the life of my Jeep.

Between Big Daddy and JKS though, I'd go JKS hands down. I've been thoroughly impressed with any JKS product I've used.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ddeadserious
I wish JCR still had the bolt on steering upgrade. I ordered one just before they dropped it, and it was super beefy. I'm running their 1-ton steering now, and will probably be staying with this for the life of my Jeep.

Between Big Daddy and JKS though, I'd go JKS hands down. I've been thoroughly impressed with any JKS product I've used.
problem is, im in an apartment due to school with VERY limited tools (only the ones i can carry in my jeep)

therefore i dont have the tools to install the JCR and my TRE's are starting to get REALLY bad.

I also wish there was a bolt on kit as i would probably just drop the cash now and get it over with.

Or i could get the JCR and have a shop do the install, but that brings up 2 problems. 1. I would have to check the cost of install. 2. To this day no shop has ever touched my jeep, i dont trust many people working on it.

-Kyle
Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

You do have one plus on your side though = your in Cali... That place is like the mecca of Offroad people. I'm sure if you ask around enough you could come accross someone with a garage for ya, heck maybe even an extra set of hands.

As far as the choice, I'd go JKS. I've heard nothing but good things from them.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle
You do have one plus on your side though = your in Cali... That place is like the mecca of Offroad people. I'm sure if you ask around enough you could come accross someone with a garage for ya, heck maybe even an extra set of hands.

As far as the choice, I'd go JKS. I've heard nothing but good things from them.
very good point, i will ask a couple local friends if they have room for me.

-Kyle
Old 03-01-2008, 01:12 AM

Im also considering the currie setup, as of now i would only be going with their HD tie rod with 7/8ths TRE's and then as time goes on i would get their drag link.

anybody have any experience? it would be easier for me as it is direct bolt on and i wouldnt have to go to a shop.

-Kyle
Old 03-01-2008, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

currie is lotsa moneez.

if it was me i wouldnt "upgrade" to something that uses stock size tie rod ends, doesn't seem like much of an upgrade if your not upgrading a vital part of it.

if you lived in new england we have a local fabrication/offroad shop that will build, paint and install 1 ton steering in your jeep then give it an alignment all for $300.

Maybe there is a deal like that floating around somewhere over there, but if not, 1 ton steering requires a reamer a couple wrenches, pliers and a hammer.

iirc jcr used to sell reamers with their 1 ton setup.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:16 AM

they do infact sell reamers.

I dunno what im going to do, found this kit for a good semi long term fix (until bigger tires) which i can afford as of now and install as of now.
http://store.cseoffroad.com/1805082.html

still up in arms, i emailed a couple local offroad fab shops to see what they could do but im still waiting on a response.

-Kyle
Old 03-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

i'm running the TNT over the knuckle kit. it runs about $380. it might be a bit out of your price range? plus you need a reamer as well which i found at sears hardware for about $40