Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer/Audio Help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl
Default Subwoofer/Audio Help.

Hey guys. I have a bone stock '01 sienna pearl XJ that I am looking to upgrade in a lot of ways, one of which is the audio. I have picked out a deck, 2 12" subwoofers, and a box (one of these). I don't know what kind of amplifier I will need to successfully run these two subs. My friend has this exact setup, and claims he has this.

If I am looking to run these subs, how many channels do I need, and what watt power? What direction should I take at this page? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

That amp will be enough for 2 12" subs. My friend had a majestic 250 watt 2 channel and 2 12" jbl's and it sounded pretty good.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by luckyAD80
Hey guys. I have a bone stock '01 sienna pearl XJ that I am looking to upgrade in a lot of ways, one of which is the audio. I have picked out a deck, 2 12" subwoofers, and a box (one of these). I don't know what kind of amplifier I will need to successfully run these two subs. My friend has this exact setup, and claims he has this.

If I am looking to run these subs, how many channels do I need, and what watt power? What direction should I take at this page? Thanks!
Is there any specific reason u want to run this exact set up? Because you could build a better system with less money in my opinion itd be stronger and cleaner also u just pick 12" bc its bigger? Have u checked out 10"s it has quicker recoils?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Erkmed XJ

Is there any specific reason u want to run this exact set up? Because you could build a better system with less money in my opinion itd be stronger and cleaner also u just pick 12" bc its bigger? Have u checked out 10"s it has quicker recoils?
I don't know much at all. My friend has a 98 Grand that sounds sick with this set up, but he paid $1100 for it, including installation fees. What do you recommend? I want a LOT of bass, like when I drive by someone they'll immediately know I have subs. That loud haha.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Al's92xj
That amp will be enough for 2 12" subs. My friend had a majestic 250 watt 2 channel and 2 12" jbl's and it sounded pretty good.
So a 2 channel is what I want to run two subs?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

So a 2 channel is what I want to run two subs?
U can run 2 subs off a mono amp but itll drop the ohms i usually got 2 ohm subs and wiring it to 1 ohm would give more power to ea sub i believe i would suggest a mono amp for your subs
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

No id run a mono block sub. And bridge them together. To get the most power.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 PM

So what price range am I looking at for 10" subs and a mono amp?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 PM

And is it hard to wire, no experience but can follow instructions!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM

Good quality subs...like the Boston G5...if u can find that...or the Boston ovals I have the ovals. Will Run 400$ but those are competition
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by UsmclovesXJ
Good quality subs...like the Boston G5...if u can find that...or the Boston ovals I have the ovals. Will Run 400$ but those are competition
Yeah I don't have that much to spend. I'm hoping for under $800 for everything, preferably in the $600s.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know much at all. My friend has a 98 Grand that sounds sick with this set up, but he paid $1100 for it, including installation fees. What do you recommend? I want a LOT of bass, like when I drive by someone they'll immediately know I have subs. That loud haha.
Yeah 1100 with those subs and amp seems a bit excessive for those unles he has like 6 of them haah but anyways here u go http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/ check out this site cheapest prices youll find garunteed. Now look at Alpine audio equip. (cleaner bass than rockford) which is what id like, why have bass if u cant hear it and its distorted? Anyways get a Alpine type R 2 ohm then get the 160 dollar amp from alpine then whichever headdeck u choose but again i prefer alpine. But all of this is the equal RMS as your friends or at least the amp the sub is 100 RMS more though its only one sub i promise u itll be louder than your friends haha and if u were to get 2 subs and ud need 2 amps to power them unfortunatly u would COMPLETELY blow your friend out of the water an itd be a little cheaper but its not the number of subs or how big that make them powerful its the RMS which is the watts that it averagely plays so ur friends is between like 50-250 i think it was this one is 600 and costs less an with the money you save you can buy a better box

A ported box (hole in it) makes it louder (sealed) makes bass cleaner. Id reccommend the ported in this scenario due to the sub already provides a clean bass. Believe it or not its the box that makes all the difference if u trust me i can find u a box if u decide to run this set up.

Note: i might of had a small subwoofer phase haah i had 2,000 in my system haha ill never again spend more than 800

Also if u decide to do 2 subs u might want to upgrade ur door speakers or do that either way
Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 PM

may need to expand that budget if u wana go loud man...
Check eBay. And other discounted audio places...wana look at rms rating.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Erkmed XJ

Yeah 1100 with those subs and amp seems a bit excessive for those unles he has like 6 of them haah but anyways here u go http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/ check out this site cheapest prices youll find garunteed. Now look at Alpine audio equip. (cleaner bass than rockford) which is what id like, why have bass if u cant hear it and its distorted? Anyways get a Alpine type R 2 ohm then get the 160 dollar amp from alpine then whichever headdeck u choose but again i prefer alpine. But all of this is the equal RMS as your friends or at least the amp the sub is 100 RMS more though its only one sub i promise u itll be louder than your friends haha and if u were to get 2 subs and ud need 2 amps to power them unfortunatly u would COMPLETELY blow your friend out of the water an itd be a little cheaper but its not the number of subs or how big that make them powerful its the RMS which is the watts that it averagely plays so ur friends is between like 50-250 i think it was this one is 600 and costs less an with the money you save you can buy a better box

A ported box (hole in it) makes it louder (sealed) makes bass cleaner. Id reccommend the ported in this scenario due to the sub already provides a clean bass. Believe it or not its the box that makes all the difference if u trust me i can find u a box if u decide to run this set up.

Note: i might of had a small subwoofer phase haah i had 2,000 in my system haha ill never again spend more than 800

Also if u decide to do 2 subs u might want to upgrade ur door speakers or do that either way
So this setup is in my budget and youre saying this one sub would beat my friend's two? I might have to take you up on this offer! Thanks for all the advice, and yeah if you could show me a box thatd be sick. Again thanks a bunch. If I could take a cheaper route and get a louder better quality system, I'm all in!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 PM

And do you mean 100 RMS more than my friend's two subs combined?

Quick Reply: Subwoofer/Audio Help.