Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck here in the middle . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stuck here in the middle . . .

Hey folks,

Quasi-newb here looking for some advice from my wise and venerable elders. Sadly, I lack the ability to simply ask a question without giving the whole backstory (for context purposes), but I'll try to keep that part brief.

The Past:
  • Bought my 2000 XJ about a year and a half ago.
  • Soon after purchase, the sag in the *** started to get on my nerves.
  • Bought new, OEM, standard duty leaf springs (because that's what the dude at quadratec told me to get and I'm a newb).
  • THEN decided, "I like it, but you know, a little lift might be nice."
  • Bought Rubicon Express 2" add-a-leaf kit.
  • wheeled it.
  • Then thought, "I like it, but you know, a little MORE lift might be nice."
The Present:
  • Just replaced front springs with 3.5 RE springs.
  • Added Rugged Ridge 2" extended shackle to rear leaf pack, which still contains RE added leaf.
  • I'm thinking the rear end still ain't quite even with the front. Would like to level it out (and if I end up with a little rake, that's cool too).
  • Shackle angle is not great currently, not 90, but not that far off either.
  • Thinking shackle relocation bracket will fix shackle angle and even out front and back.
  • BUT
  • I'm REALLY not liking the way the shackles are straightening out the leaf packs right now.
The Future:
  • The "3.5-ish" lift" was going to be my gateway to cutting fenders and slapping on 33x12.5x15 Duratracs. This is the "end state" I have in mind for this rig. Will replace lower control arms and track bar almost certainly, and will be switching in ZJ tie rod soon. Maybe bumpers, armor, and lighting moving forward as funds permit, but this is as high as I'm wanting to go. (He said, naively.)
The Question(s):
  • Am I right to be concerned about the way my shackles and leaf springs are getting along? It just looks like that top leaf is under a LOT of pressure.
  • I'm thinking that, in addition to the shackle relocation brackets, I should probably look into adding some other long-ish leaf to add some support here. If I do that, what would have some decent arch to it? S-10? Dakota? Is one better than the other arch or ride-wise?
This is a great forum and I've already learned a ton just by mostly lurking, but right now any wit, wisdom, tips, pointers or other assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Teephphah; 09-02-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

If your stock leaf packs were sagging and you added an add a leaf to them with an extended shackle, yes I'm sure that main leaf looks terrible and that the angle is off. That is how mine is sitting right now, but I have some very nice Deaver leaf springs waiting to go on before I go wheeling again.

If I were you, I would buy a set of HD Offroad Engineering no lift shackle relocatin brackets and some 3" leaf packs of your choice. RE tends to sit a little high, the RC 4.5" leaf packs are too short and cause a terrible shackle angle ( I know you don't want to go that high, but I would be weary of anything RC honestly.), but Rustys has good spring packs from what I have heard. I suggest replacing the leaf pack for two reasons:

You can already tell the main leaf doesn't look happy in your set up
They tend to sag and a replacement leaf pack will ride better, flex better, and typically have far better support than a stock pack with an AAL.

P.S. If you think this site is good, go check out NAXJA
Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 AM

Year: 2000

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Which will delay my tires a little longer . . .

Just for the record though, the stock spring packs that I added the leaf to were brand new replacements of the sagging packs and not sagging at all themselves.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I agree the Rustys leaf packs are a good buy and hold up very well mine have for over 2 yrs. zero sag. The rear of the XJ should be a little higher than the front in most all lifts.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 09-02-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by Teephphah
Unfortunately, you're probably right. Which will delay my tires a little longer . . .

Just for the record though, the stock spring packs that I added the leaf to were brand new replacements of the sagging packs and not sagging at all themselves.
That is how mine were, too. I bought a good set from CL that I then added an AAL to and now about 2 years later I'm surprised I haven't broken the main leaf and shot it up through the floor.

Full leaf packs will do you well.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

If you need cheap a bastard pack fits the bill. Ive posted it before but XJ main S10 main and S10 second works really well for me. Plenty flexy. That setup is good for about 3" if you need a little more you can add the overload spring from either pack and get another half inch or so. I run the above with RE 1" lift shackles (5" long) and HDOffroad standard relocation brackets. I sit between 4.5-5" depending on load and the ride is good.

While I agree and would like a nice new set of leaf packs this works on the cheap. I think Dakota or S10 comes out about the same.