Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybuilt xrc rear bumper tire carrier. Propane mount.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Smittybuilt xrc rear bumper tire carrier. Propane mount.

Just curious if anyone has found a way to mount a 5lb propane tank to this bumper for xj. Seems one could put some metal straps to the left or right of the tire.

would love to see pics of you have.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Looks like I may be the first to try this. I'll post back and let yall know how it goes once I get my bumper installed.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:21 PM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

I don't see why not?
A friend of mine here in Wrightwood built a Jerry can holder to mount back there so he can run with extra fuel. I was gonna do the same thing as him, but gotta say I like your idea better.

There are TONS of Overland companies that sell the mounts for the smaller (5 Lbs) propane tanks.

I personally hate my XRC bumper, however with a bit a work it can be pretty badarse.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DustyWagoneer
I don't see why not?
A friend of mine here in Wrightwood built a Jerry can holder to mount back there so he can run with extra fuel. I was gonna do the same thing as him, but gotta say I like your idea better.

There are TONS of Overland companies that sell the mounts for the smaller (5 Lbs) propane tanks.

I personally hate my XRC bumper, however with a bit a work it can be pretty badarse.
What do you hate about it. ITs not too late to cancel my order. haha. I just cant bring myself to spend more on something like the JCR. Even though I have and love their roof rack.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:39 PM

The latch fails pretty much on everyones bumper.
Then the adjustment cam very rarely fits in a good spot, so you have to drill and tap new holes for the cam to lock in.
Don't follow the directions to a T, as the bumpers are made in China............... Well they used to be (I just got the bull bar for my front bumper, and it was made in Thailand).

The hardware that came with mine (Chinese made) was junk. I had to retap some of the weldnuts on it.

This is what happens when it swings open going down the freeway.

Redrilled & tapped new holes for cam adjuster

New latch on, so far so good!
Old 01-04-2022, 03:43 PM

OH! One other thing, you can't get a standard Jerry can in it.
The Harbor freight can does fit however.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:43 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Year: 1998

I like my XRC and haven't had the problems that Dusty has complained about, but love his modification for the latch. Think I may have to do that as an extra security measure...just in case.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Found these guys on the interwebs as far as a tank mount. This may work well, and I can get a color to keep in my black and grey color pallet.

https://www.adventuretrailgear.com/p...e-tank-bag-5lb
Old 01-06-2022, 05:31 PM

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Lynn Gräber
Found these guys on the interwebs as far as a tank mount. This may work well, and I can get a color to keep in my black and grey color pallet.

https://www.adventuretrailgear.com/p...e-tank-bag-5lb
I have one of these and it works great. They're well made and very heavy duty. The tank slips in and out easily. I got it with the longer straps so you can strap it to your spare tire. I thought I would use it for my LJ but I ended up building a propane tank holder for that Jeep. I use this for my XJ and just strap it to the roof rack.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 Renix, stock.

just back from overland trip in desert, freezing nights. Propane is no good when that cold. We had to heat out 1 lb propane bottles in the engine bay to get them to flow fuel. We are no rethinking our use of propane for these cold excursions. We have propane stoves and bbq, and even a water heater. My old trusty coleman white gas stove dont have such problems, but I dont have a white gas bbq. I fear a white gas bbq might impart a fuel taste to food grilled on it.
I am thinking a gasoline stove might be wise, using the same fuel as the jeep. but the bbq is the problem, what to use in very cold conditions?
Old 01-09-2022, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by robsjeep
just back from overland trip in desert, freezing nights. Propane is no good when that cold. We had to heat out 1 lb propane bottles in the engine bay to get them to flow fuel. We are no rethinking our use of propane for these cold excursions. We have propane stoves and bbq, and even a water heater. My old trusty coleman white gas stove dont have such problems, but I dont have a white gas bbq. I fear a white gas bbq might impart a fuel taste to food grilled on it.
I am thinking a gasoline stove might be wise, using the same fuel as the jeep. but the bbq is the problem, what to use in very cold conditions?
dang. How cold was it? Fortunately most of my camping is spring, summer, fall. But I am curious what would be better for sub 32 F.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by robsjeep
I use propane on my RV and it's sees blow freezing temperatures in the winter with no problem. Maybe it is the size of the can. I use a 253 and 100# tanks.