Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stock tire mount for rear bumper?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Stock tire mount for rear bumper?

Hi everyone, I recently bought a tire mount for my 2001 xj that was supposedly an addition for 97-01 Cherokees. It mounts directly to the stock rear bumper, with no additional reenforcing. I'm wondering if anyone has a write up or install video handy, maybe even just some experience in installing such a tire mount? I'm guessing they were rare, as I've found very few on the Internet. Ill post some pictures tomorrow, but for now I found this example on the Internet, just as an idea of what I have. Thanks!

Stock tire mount for rear bumper?-image-1273104851.jpg
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6

Are you sure it requires no reinforcing? The bumper is thin, flimsy sheet metal, I just can't see it holding a tire carrier when I could probably dent it with my teeth lol
Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Agree.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah -- I wish I could skimp, but plan on spending 500-800 bucks when I bite the bullet for the tire carrier. You can buy or fab a hitch mount tire carrier.. CHEEEP CHEEP.

But your vested in what you have. I understand.

I'd be wary. Unless it braces the spindle within the bumper, then again somehow to the bumper mount or chassis - that setup is set for failure. Are you drilling out rear bumper? Please say a spindle was provided.

The stock bumpers are such a joke, I have never thought of upgrading them.

I bought my xj off my girlfriend after she wrecked it into a guard rail. First upgrade was an LandL front bumper. Beefcake. After pounding out my frame for 4 hours, my mind was set.

My rear bumper is a turd. Rather than upgrade it, I'll probably just pitch it out. (get it?)

Sweet looking setup though. Nice and clean. How much did it cost? Can you provide a link? Guys on here are pretty smart at this stuff. I just rant.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 PM

Hey thanks for all the responses, the mount i got was previously mounted on an xj with a stock bumper, and didn't have the spindle you mentioned. What you're saying does make sense though, because I agree, the stock bumper does seem really crappy. Maybe ill do some additional reenforcing. I've been too busy today to snap some pics of it, but ill be them up tomorrow since im off. Hope everyone enjoys the holiday tomorrow, eat up!!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:20 PM

I've got a '93 Sport with the factory tire carrier. Very seldom see them. It's cold out, and Thanksgiving, but I snapped a few pics with the phone in the dark. I may be able to get some more in the morning if you need.

My carrier works great. No rattles, opens smooth. It appears that it bolts to the bumper, not through it. The photo of the bracket that attaches to the bumper is the pivot point - hopefully you got that with the deal. Anyway, hope these help some.
Attached Images      
Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DarrellXJ
I've got a '93 Sport with the factory tire carrier. Very seldom see them. It's cold out, and Thanksgiving, but I snapped a few pics with the phone in the dark. I may be able to get some more in the morning if you need.

My carrier works great. No rattles, opens smooth. It appears that it bolts to the bumper, not through it. The photo of the bracket that attaches to the bumper is the pivot point - hopefully you got that with the deal. Anyway, hope these help some.
Hey man that's exactly what I have, I do have all the parts that you mentioned, i'll attach pics of each part. The piece that bolts to the hatch itself is identical, and im guessing that the third piece is like a spacer, does yours use that spacer? Is that something you installed yourself or has it always been on the jeep since the factory? Last question, any chance you could snap a pic of how it is bolted to the bumper? Im just a bit confused on how to get it secure enough, because it does seem like a pretty heavy load to put on the bumper. I really appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails Stock tire mount for rear bumper?-image-3802399532.jpg   Stock tire mount for rear bumper?-image-204405770.jpg   Stock tire mount for rear bumper?-image-3315188633.jpg   Stock tire mount for rear bumper?-image-4117729155.jpg   Stock tire mount for rear bumper?-image-3243120628.jpg  

Old 11-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Year: 1988

I had the same on my 92, it wasn't factory, pulled of at local jy, all I did was have a buddy hold it up on the bumper and drilled the holes then bolted it, then I took out the stock license plate light and marked the holes for the plate the. Bolted. I did mine under an hour without doing one before, I didn't reinforce it and it did just fine!
On a side note I got a 88 with the factory tire carrier and this one bolts to the passenger side body and locks on the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Stock tire mount for rear bumper?-image-2479244723.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by clichtenfelt
Hey man that's exactly what I have, I do have all the parts that you mentioned, i'll attach pics of each part. The piece that bolts to the hatch itself is identical, and im guessing that the third piece is like a spacer, does yours use that spacer? Is that something you installed yourself or has it always been on the jeep since the factory? Last question, any chance you could snap a pic of how it is bolted to the bumper? Im just a bit confused on how to get it secure enough, because it does seem like a pretty heavy load to put on the bumper. I really appreciate it
Not sure about the spacer. And, I'm not sure about any backing inside the hatch, I haven't had the trim off the rear hatch. But, yours appears to have the same components that mine has - other than the spacer, just not sure. I may have some time this afternoon to take a closer look. If so, I'll snap some more pics.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Sorry, didn't read the full text.

Yes, it did come from the factory with the tire carrier. I have the build sheet. Listed as: "TBR Outside Tire Carrier". I'll try and clean the bumper up a bit this afternoon and get you some photos of the attachment points on the bumper so you can sort it out.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by DarrellXJ
Sorry, didn't read the full text.

Yes, it did come from the factory with the tire carrier. I have the build sheet. Listed as: "TBR Outside Tire Carrier". I'll try and clean the bumper up a bit this afternoon and get you some photos of the attachment points on the bumper so you can sort it out.
Hey that would be great, I just figured out that one of your pics was of the bottom side. But yea any other pictures would be greatly appreciated, hope to get this mount on and looking good soon!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by elevol92
I had the same on my 92, it wasn't factory, pulled of at local jy, all I did was have a buddy hold it up on the bumper and drilled the holes then bolted it, then I took out the stock license plate light and marked the holes for the plate the. Bolted. I did mine under an hour without doing one before, I didn't reinforce it and it did just fine!
On a side note I got a 88 with the factory tire carrier and this one bolts to the passenger side body and locks on the bumper.
Did you have to take off the end cap to get it to mount flush to the bumper? looks like thats gonna have to happen, may have to use the dremmel to cut out a section if the end cap gets in the way. And yea I have seen that older version of the mount, both seem pretty reliable, I just happened to like the looks of the newer one a bit better, and was lucky to find one in my area. You dont have a picture of the one similar to mine on your 92 do you?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 PM

Did you have to take off the end cap to get it to mount flush to the bumper? looks like thats gonna have to happen, may have to use the dremmel to cut out a section if the end cap gets in the way. And yea I have seen that older version of the mount, both seem pretty reliable, I just happened to like the looks of the newer one a bit better, and was lucky to find one in my area. You dont have a picture of the one similar to mine on your 92 do you?
I do, I just have to pull it off Facebook, I did take my end cap off, never did put it back on lol
EDIT: got the photo, I will mention that you should use the grade 8 bolts, I was able to hold a 35" BFG mud terrain on it and drive for 40 miles including having four more in the cab
Attached Thumbnails Stock tire mount for rear bumper?-image-3944294593.jpg  

Last edited by elevol92; 11-23-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by elevol92
I do, I just have to pull it off Facebook, I did take my end cap off, never did put it back on lol
EDIT: got the photo, I will mention that you should use the grade 8 bolts, I was able to hold a 35" BFG mud terrain on it and drive for 40 miles including having four more in the cab
alright yea i figured the end cap would have to come off, oh well that won't be too big a deal. thanks for the advice on the bolts, its details like that that'll decide whether this works or pulls my bumper off once I hear back from darrell and get this all sorted out i'll get the thing mounted and put up some pictures!

Last edited by clichtenfelt; 11-23-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Good luck bud! Hope it turns out well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock tire mount for rear bumper?