Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Shim for these Measurements?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Which Shim for these Measurements?

Jeep currently has stock driveshaft and...

2" AAL
2" lift shackles

This gave my jeep a combined lift of ~ 3.25-3.5 inches in the rear. I originally had only the lift shackles in the rear and never had a vibration. The lift shackles also only lifted the jeep about an inch though. It wasn't until I installed the AAL that the jeep received an annoying vibration. The AAL compensated for roughly 2 inches of lift bringing the total lift the height posted above (3.25-3.5")

Anyway, now my pinion is pointing up, more so towards the transfer case, instead of parallel with the transfer case. I never took notice of how it was pointing after installing the shackles because I never had a vibration. Now I'm trying to figure out just how much the pinion moved after the AAL.

I read up on some threads and I know most people try to shim the axle up to compensate for an SYE. I, on the other hand, need to shim my axle down since I'm going to try to fix the vibration with the stock driveline and exhaust all options before making the jump and purchasing and installing an SYE.

With the driveshaft still on, I managed to rig up a few straight edges and take some measurements of the TC output shaft area, the pinion input shaft area and the slope of the driveshaft.

What I got was....

- 90 degrees on the transfer case output
- 98 degrees on the pinion input
- 11 degree slope on driveshaft

How do I measure which shim is needed with the measurements provided? Common sense tells me I am off approximately 8 degrees. Which shim would be needed to correct the issue? Should I try a 3, 4, 5, or 6 right off the bat?

Also, if I can't get the angles of the pinion and TC exactly the same, which way do I want to favor? What would be 'Close Enough' ???

Thank you in advance guys. Don't forget that I am shimming the axle DOWN and NOT UP. I don't know if it makes a difference for the calculations for the shim based off the measurements. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

Bump ttt