Need advice for my totaled Cherokee

Old 12-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Need advice for my totaled Cherokee

I haven't been on here for a while and I'm sorry for that I guess life got in the way lol.....anyways here goes:

About 2 hours ago my Cherokee got totaled. She was parked on the side of the road and a drunk driver slammed into her rear end.... I was at work and my wife and kids were home.
Nobody got hurt other than the driver and of course my beloved Cherokee :'(

I've never had to deal with this stuff before and I've got alot of time and money in her. What can I expect next? I've keep up with my repair records for the most part would that help me out any?

I'm just speechless and my kids are crying of the loss of the Jeep .... All the busted knuckles and the blood and sweat....not to mention I was able to teach my boys on how to work on a vehicle with her......I'm just rambling for sure . I loved that damned thing!

Frost was a fine Cherokee and she will be missed sorely.

Pictures will come soon once I figure out how to lol.

Last edited by Unknown XJ; 12-09-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

"All the busted knuckles and blood and sweat"?

So... Sounds like you took care of the drunk driver! Sorry about the Jeep.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM

Year: 1991

Insurance will take care of you bud just make sure to buy it back so you can build another one with the totaled ones goodies and part the rest or keep for parts assuming your xj is totaled beyond repair.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999

They will probably give you a low-ball offer the first time out, you don't have to accept that. The longer they stall the longer they have to shell out for storage, so they should be motivated to dicker. Come up with some comparables as to what similar XJs are selling for as well as receipts for what you have in it. Then once you negotiate a (hopefully) fair amount of compensation for your loss you can see what the buyback amount is if you want your XJ back to get parts off it.

The job of the insurance company is supposed to be to MAKE YOU WHOLE, that is to return you to your pre-accident status. Payout should be based on REPLACEMENT VALUE for a similar vehicle, that is the RETAIL PRICE that you would pay for the replacement, and in some states the law requires them to include sales tax in that figure as well as registration and title fees. (Check your state laws.)

That is their job - however their OBJECTIVE is to minimize their payout. They will most likely operate under the assumption that you are desperate to replace your vehicle and will therefore accept whatever minimal offer they make. Remember, you do not have to accept their first offer.

If you have a family member or friend who is a lawyer you might be able to get them to lean on the insurance company for you.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Here's the scene once I made it home.... The jeep was parked on the side of the road and it was moved about 3-4 feet. It just sucks....
Attached Thumbnails Need advice for my totaled Cherokee-resampled_2015-04-12_18-45-30_816.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2015, 01:56 PM

Year: 98

Same thing happened to me. Like previously stated tell the insurance company you want to buy it back. And it will cost you the scrap cost. I paid 200, sold it as a parts jeep for 600. Got 3000 for the truck which I paid 1000 for two months earlier. You just might make out in the deal. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Member

I've had my Cherokee for around 5 years and I paid $2000 for her.....I've learned alot from her and I've got all kinds of time and goodies on her. (headlight harness upgrade,muddfrogs catback system and a cfs 2 row all aluminum radiator to name a few)
But, at the end of the day nobody in my family was hurt and hopefully it will be a blessing in disguise. The impact was so hard, it popped the heater vents and the bezel that's around the the radio out. And as you can see from the picture she's done for.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice for my totaled Cherokee-picsart_1449694819267.jpg   Need advice for my totaled Cherokee-picsart_1449692740033.jpg  
Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Unknown XJ
I've had my Cherokee for around 5 years and I paid $2000 for her.....I've learned alot from her and I've got all kinds of time and goodies on her. (headlight harness upgrade,muddfrogs catback system and a cfs 2 row all aluminum radiator to name a few)
But, at the end of the day nobody in my family was hurt and hopefully it will be a blessing in disguise. The impact was so hard, it popped the heater vents and the bezel that's around the the radio out. And as you can see from the picture she's done for.
That's sad to see another xj gone but at least every one is ok. I totaled my xj 2 winters ago in a ice storm in Michigan and was still able to make a 110 mile drive back home with the front bumper winched back in to the body I ended up getting 4500 back from the insurance company and bought it back for 300 and built my current xj from the parts of the wrecked one. And I made this one twice as strong. .. so what I'm saying is that buy another one and start over and make new memories with your family. .....

Name:  ForumRunner_20151209_180914.png
Views: 616
Size:  392.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151209_180934.png
Views: 687
Size:  397.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151209_180949.png
Views: 635
Size:  410.5 KB

Last edited by jtm01xj; 12-09-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It looks for the most part stock from what I can see, am I correct? If so you will not have many adds to it for value added like lift, upgraded suspension and steering or gears and lockers. Those are the things that add a lot of value to it with the receipts not just regular wear and tear.

Mileage and overall condition will be the deciding factors of the insurance settlement.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jtm01xj
That's sad to see another xj gone but at least every one is ok. I totaled my xj 2 winters ago in a ice storm in Michigan and was still able to make a 110 mile drive back home with the front bumper winched back in to the body I ended up getting 4500 back from the insurance company and bought it back for 300 and built my current xj from the parts of the wrecked one. And I made this one twice as strong. .. so what I'm saying is that buy another one and start over and make new memories with your family. .....

Attachment 280257

Attachment 280258

Attachment 280259
At the end of the day she is just a vehicle (although we know she was more than one lol) I could've drove it away if need be....these things really are built like tanks for sure and I look forward to what the next one holds for me....But the biggest kick in the ***** is that I had finally finally got the heat figured out.....And I'm fairly certain I'm going to be fixing alot of the little **** in the next one that I had already gotten out of the way with the wrecked one.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Unknown XJ
At the end of the day she is just a vehicle (although we know she was more than one lol) I could've drove it away if need be....these things really are built like tanks for sure and I look forward to what the next one holds for me....But the biggest kick in the ***** is that I had finally finally got the heat figured out.....And I'm fairly certain I'm going to be fixing alot of the little **** in the next one that I had already gotten out of the way with the wrecked one.
that's always my thing. Yeah I have problems with my jeep but at least I know what the problems are and have fixed or am fixing most of them. When you buy something else used or new you gotta figure out its quirks. Sucks losing a jeep I really hope it doesn't happen to me, knock on wood, cross my fingers, now where did I put my horseshoe and 4 leaf clover...
Old 12-11-2015, 04:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
It looks for the most part stock from what I can see, am I correct? If so you will not have many adds to it for value added like lift, upgraded suspension and steering or gears and lockers. Those are the things that add a lot of value to it with the receipts not just regular wear and tear.

Mileage and overall condition will be the deciding factors of the insurance settlement.
She doesn't really have any goodies along the lines of a lift gears or lockers but she was in pretty good shape. We'll find out tomorrow what their first offer is....I've talked to two different people and they seemed like they were testing the waters to me.
When I told the lady that the driver was drunk (.186 bac) she got silent.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Woah, that was a big hit.
Glad you weren't hurt.

If you're looking for an upside, at least the expensive bits at the front should be OK. If you can find a Cherokee with a nice body but a blown engine you could do well.

But yeah, I'd be gutted too