Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeeps running rough. Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeeps running rough. Need some help

00 Cherokee (original motor not it in). The jeep is running like garbage and is un drive able. I had a problem like this a few months back and had a code for the TPS sensor, a new sensor fixed it up until a couple weeks ago. I figured I had the same problem so I got a new one and still runs terrible. When I scanned the codes this time I had a code for the IAC. Cleaned the original one and cleaned the housing for it and still ran bad. Bought a new IAC from Napa. Ran fine for 15mins or so and started running rough and misfiring again. I cleared codes with scanner and scanned again and the only code I get is for the TPS again. Any help would be great Thanks.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 00_cherokeexj
00 Cherokee (original motor not it in). The jeep is running like garbage and is un drive able. I had a problem like this a few months back and had a code for the TPS sensor, a new sensor fixed it up until a couple weeks ago. I figured I had the same problem so I got a new one and still runs terrible. When I scanned the codes this time I had a code for the IAC. Cleaned the original one and cleaned the housing for it and still ran bad. Bought a new IAC from Napa. Ran fine for 15mins or so and started running rough and misfiring again. I cleared codes with scanner and scanned again and the only code I get is for the TPS again. Any help would be great Thanks.
Have you tried removing the throttle body and cleaning it out? Your sensors could keep going bad if the throttle body itself is gunked up.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:11 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

The only part I cleaned was the housing for the IAC. I was thinking about pulling it off this weekend and giving it a good cleaning.