Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace carpet with what???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Replace carpet with what???

One of the first things out of my Cherokee was the carpet. Now since a floor pan has been replaced and the tub has been cleaned up a little I'm looking for some ideas on what to put in the tub to dampen the road/suspension noise and insulate from heat/cold and maintain the convenience of not having to vacuum carpet and rinse the Jeep out. Ideally, I would bed-line the inside, but it doesn't really provide any other benefit. I've looked at Dynamat, but I think it's designed to go under carpet and not bed-lined over. I've also looked at Lizard Skin, but don't have any experience with it and not sure .4mm would really make much more difference than just roll on bed-liner. I want to keep it as my DD, but it's not the most baby-friendly vehicle right now. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The bed liner has no sound deaden in it or heat barrier,Lizard skin makes two kinds ones a sound deaden the other is a heat barrier you can use one on top the other.After that you could go bed liner or just install thick rubber floor liner like the base model work trucks used instead of carpet.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 AM

Have you used Lizard Skin? Does it apply fairly easily? I see that you also have to purchase the sprayer. Does it actually work with less than a mm thick layer? I haven't even looked at the cost of it.

Dynamat sells a thick rubber like mat they call Dynadeck, which I kind of like, but I'm not sure how well it would conform to the curves of the tub (like the tunnel or under the back seat.) Maybe I could use the pieces more like floor mats and Lizard Skin the whole tub.

Whatever I finally choose the tub will be coated in por15 so I don't have to worry about rust.

Thank You!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

No i haven't used lizard skin yet but will when the time comes around for it.I have used the stick down mat type of sound deaden and its a pain to use.You have to run a flooring hard rubber roller over it to get it to stick fully.And you have to tape up every seam between mats to get it fully sealed down.With por15 unless you have rust don't use it,If you paint it over paint it will peal off over time it only sticks good to rust and your skin lol.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

JMO but I would replace the old carpet and insulation with new to keep the heat and noise down, then buy a good set of floor mats that were made for your XJ and keep dirt, mud, water all contained on the mat. Then you can just remove the floor mat and dump it out and wash at the car wash.

This is what I have in mine front/rear/cargo area they are the Quadratec brand. Nothing really gets on my carpet that a short amount of time with the vacuum cleaner won't take of, or that I get in the floor of my car.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:22 PM

I have always used floor mats/cargo mats, but I frequently put dirty big dogs and hay bales in the Jeep. Not exactly the most vacuum friendly stuff, even with heavy duty mats.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
No i haven't used lizard skin yet but will when the time comes around for it.I have used the stick down mat type of sound deaden and its a pain to use.You have to run a flooring hard rubber roller over it to get it to stick fully.And you have to tape up every seam between mats to get it fully sealed down.With por15 unless you have rust don't use it,If you paint it over paint it will peal off over time it only sticks good to rust and your skin lol.
That's kind of what I was thinking with the mat type products. I have rust in spots all over the tub. They're not big, but annoying enough that I don't want it to spread. It sure is sticky stuff. Got some in my hair a few days ago. haha. Keep me posted on your Lizard Skin adventures. I'd be curious how it turns out and what you think. Probably won't do much with my interior for another few months. (Going to take the interior panels out, paint them, do something with the headliner, and add in new door seals.) Might as well do it all at once.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

I have just what you need here on the farm an 76 Chevy K20 with a 3" lift. I haul my border collies and can still haul 2 round bales of hay. All it came with from the factory were the rubber mat on the floor. It has 6" of mud and cow $hit in it all the time, every once in a while I scrape it out with a garden hoe

When it gets stuck the only way to get it out is with my 4wd JD Tractor. The old truck does quite well for what it is and on 35x13:50x15 split rims lol.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I have just what you need here on the farm an 76 Chevy K20 with a 3" lift. I haul my border collies and can still haul 2 round bales of hay. All it came with from the factory were the rubber mat on the floor. It has 6" of mud and cow $hit in it all the time, every once in a while I scrape it out with a garden hoe

When it gets stuck the only way to get it out is with my 4wd JD Tractor. The old truck does quite well for what it is and on 35x13:50x15 split rims lol.
Exactly!! My '88 Cherokee came with the plastic mat from factory and it was great! Biggest reason why I don't want to put carpet back into the '93. Issue is... there's a baby coming in October and I would like the Jeep to be a little quieter and a little warmer. For me, if it was just me, I don't care at all. My Cherokee has to take on another role in addition to DD and weekend wheeler. . . baby hauler. haha. He's a trooper.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
It has 6" of mud and cow $hit in it all the time.
Gotta love the natural air fresheners.

I agree with the carpet & molded floor liners. Works pretty well.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Monstaliner. One of the best things I did to my Jeep. If you're worried about heat and noise, I suggest the following:

1. Quit being a whiny crybaby about it.
2. Make a muffler heatshield out of cookie sheets.
3. Hood vents.

Those things helped my heat drastically. As for noise, it's not THAT much more noisy; even so, I like to hear exactly what's going on.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by JeepJess
One of the first things out of my Cherokee was the carpet. Now since a floor pan has been replaced and the tub has been cleaned up a little I'm looking for some ideas on what to put in the tub to dampen the road/suspension noise and insulate from heat/cold and maintain the convenience of not having to vacuum carpet and rinse the Jeep out. Ideally, I would bed-line the inside, but it doesn't really provide any other benefit. I've looked at Dynamat, but I think it's designed to go under carpet and not bed-lined over. I've also looked at Lizard Skin, but don't have any experience with it and not sure .4mm would really make much more difference than just roll on bed-liner. I want to keep it as my DD, but it's not the most baby-friendly vehicle right now. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I like the cool stuff people do on floors but nothing beats carpet and pad for noise, heat and kids. I have the same issues, getting my rusty pans cut and replaced Monday. I used dynamat under factory carpet and it was decent. I am planning to spray or roll bed liner after priming and put a factory grade carpet back. I ordered a set from stock interiors, not bad but lots of trimming. Then I've got a set of weathertec mats for slush control in the winter. I really beat this thing over the years so I'm trying to give it some love lately...
Old 04-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Monstaliner. One of the best things I did to my Jeep. If you're worried about heat and noise, I suggest the following:

2. Make a muffler heatshield out of cookie sheets.
3. Hood vents.

Those things helped my heat drastically. As for noise, it's not THAT much more noisy; even so, I like to hear exactly what's going on.

Like I said. . . if it was just me I don't care about the noise...but my newborn in October may not be quite so understanding.

I really don't want carpet in it again. I'm sure there must be some other decent solution.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Here is my thread on the subject:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/mi...dening-207065/
I used Herculiner, didn't like how loud it was, made a mix of microballons (just read the thread) and some more bedliner to coat it followed by a final coat of bedliner. I then did posted before/after decible readings. Lizard skin is the effectively house paint with microballons mixed in. Just buy a bag of microballoons off ebay, get some "Oops" paint at lowes/home depot and lay on a bunch of thick coats. Then bedline on the top of it (you should probably primer under it).
Old 04-25-2015, 12:27 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty

Best. Advice. EVER.

LOL
Originally Posted by JeepJess
Like I said. . . if it was just me I don't care about the noise...but my newborn in October may not be quite so understanding.
Is this your first child?

You'd be surprised at what kids can sleep through...everyone thinks SHHHH...QUIET!!! BABY'S SLEEPING!!!

The reality is quite the opposite. They'll sleep when you don't want them to, and be awake when you think they should be asleep. Don't stress on this too much. Roll with it.

Quick Reply: Replace carpet with what???