Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear lunchbox locker in DD

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Rear lunchbox locker in DD

I understand how lunchbox lockers work, they ratchet when no power is to them for turns. But what about when you have to take small turns such as U-turns or while in reverse and must use some gas, what happens then? I want to lock my rear but not if it'll cause issues with basic things such as that. I thought the wheels lock up when given power, so how can you give it gas around a tight turn from a dead stop? Also, any first hand experiences with them in the snow, I have a np242 so I'll use full time during the winter.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I have a spartan locker in the rear. No issues with daily driving. Tight turns and everything. Just the usual clicking/knocking. Sometimes the inner tire will squeal if you give it a lot of gas.

Haven't driven in the snow yet but on mud and sand it was amazing.
The following users liked this post:
xjgary83 (06-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJEvo
I have a spartan locker in the rear. No issues with daily driving. Tight turns and everything. Just the usual clicking/knocking. Sometimes the inner tire will squeal if you give it a lot of gas.
So light gas is fine without an chipping/squealing? I drive very soft footed so I trust myself locking it, but just want to make sure I can still make those turns
Old 09-11-2014, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

I'd run thicker Gear Oil to keep the ratcheting noise down.
85-140W
Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

With an NP242 you won't want to put a lunchbox in the front. Just in case you were thinking that lol.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
With an NP242 you won't want to put a lunchbox in the front. Just in case you were thinking that lol.
That's why I titled it "rear", I know I can't use full time with an np242 so I want to lock the rear.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by helloravijangid@gmail.com
yeah, this is the best security device.
Huh?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Banned

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I would consider saving up some extra $ and run a trutrac gear driven posi..unless you are building a trail vehicle and are expecting to lift tires off the ground. Even then modulate the brake with the trutrac, I've run lunch box and trutracs so I can give you an honest opinion....Consider it.....You tube cherokee with trutracs and see how they perform offroad...
Old 09-11-2014, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jrozar
I would consider saving up some extra $ and run a trutrac gear driven posi..unless you are building a trail vehicle and are expecting to lift tires off the ground. Even then modulate the brake with the trutrac, I've run lunch box and trutracs so I can give you an honest opinion....Consider it.....You tube cherokee with trutracs and see how they perform offroad...
Not worth it to me to have everything readjusted, I just want to swap it out in my driveway and be done. Being a college kid = not as much funds as a lot of others. I'm mostly just wondering how they work with light power around tight turns.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
So light gas is fine without an chipping/squealing? I drive very soft footed so I trust myself locking it, but just want to make sure I can still make those turns
Light gas and full steering lock in either direction is just fine. I think a locker (with good tires) is even more important than a lift to be honest. Do it, you won't regret it.

They say snow driving is a little tricky but I can't confirm that myself. Probably not an issue, just need to get used to it and adjust your driving style.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:03 AM

From what I have experienced so far in the snow is that they can be a little tricky. I am lunch boxed front and rear and last year in a snow storm I was stopping to pick up a fellow employee for work. As I was turning on to the street he lives on with the wheels turned left, the XJ wanted to plow straight. I was heading right for the ditch by the side of his house, but with a few burps of the the throttle, I was able to correct it.

Now take for granted this was my FIRST time with lockers in the snow so it may have been more of myself being not used to the locker in the first place. As far as off-roading, a locker can't be beat! Well, unless you are one skilled driver..
Old 09-11-2014, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PUNISHER
From what I have experienced so far in the snow is that they can be a little tricky. I am lunch boxed front and rear and last year in a snow storm I was stopping to pick up a fellow employee for work. As I was turning on to the street he lives on with the wheels turned left, the XJ wanted to plow straight. I was heading right for the ditch by the side of his house, but with a few burps of the the throttle, I was able to correct it.

Now take for granted this was my FIRST time with lockers in the snow so it may have been more of myself being not used to the locker in the first place. As far as off-roading, a locker can't be beat! Well, unless you are one skilled driver..
Seems like as long as you know it's there and let off the throttle in the snow turns you'll be fine. Thank you, going to school here in western PA we get our fair share of snow and it's not fun being lifted and on new 31s and still needing to go into 4 full due to the one wheel wonder in the back.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJEvo
Light gas and full steering lock in either direction is just fine. I think a locker (with good tires) is even more important than a lift to be honest. Do it, you won't regret it.

They say snow driving is a little tricky but I can't confirm that myself. Probably not an issue, just need to get used to it and adjust your driving style.
Thank you, most helpful comment I have had so far between your comment and the person after you. Lifted 3.5" on 31s, been wanting to get a locker that won't break the bank but was skeptical about u turns and such since you need to give it gas in those situations. Have you experienced a big clunk from stop-go situations? Some videos show that happening and can't explain it, maybe teeth and gear change is the culprit.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
That's why I titled it "rear", I know I can't use full time with an np242 so I want to lock the rear.
Okay good. Just wanted to make sure you weren't ALSO going to do the front.

My NP231 open/open slides mostly in the back during the winter (no weight) and I get some understeer, but I imagine that as long as you still have differential action in the transfer case and front axle it will be quite reasonable in the snow.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:21 AM

I haven't experienced any "big" clinks from stop and go. A helped a good frined of mine install a Lokka in the rear of his TJ. The TJ is a manual and once we were done I had to head out. Well later that day he called me and told me that I needed to get my butt back out to his house and take that locker back out. He said his TJ was popping and cracking and the rear wanted to move around etc. I told him to realx that being a manual, he had better get used to it because my son in laws TJ did the exact same when we locked it. I can remeber watching his TJ from a take off in front of me and wath the TJ squat and the rear shift from one side to the other. Looks crazy..

So the jerking and popping from stop and go seems to be more related to the manuals.

Quick Reply: Rear lunchbox locker in DD