Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok another ? On lifts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ok another ? On lifts...

I've got a couple ideas but now I'm wondering witch is the best way to go, add-a-leaf, blocks, or springs??? Pretty big price difference!! Any input would help....
Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

Maybe you should say how high you want it, tire size you want, what you will be doing with the jeep? Might help.

Either some kind of junkyard build from here.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bud...herokee-58797/

or go all out and get a full lift kit. You'll still have to make a "bastard" leaf pack when the add a leaf sags.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZONE-...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-10-2011, 02:52 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

Just go with new springs, it's worth it in the long run.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by darknezz
Maybe you should say how high you want it, tire size you want, what you will be doing with the jeep? Might help.

Either some kind of junkyard build from here.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bud...herokee-58797/

or go all out and get a full lift kit. You'll still have to make a "bastard" leaf pack when the add a leaf sags.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZONE-...Q5fAccessories
Sorry about that haha....I don't want to go over 3"...I have 30 9.50s on it right now(they rub) and it's my everyday driver but I do take it offroad(no mud) so I wanna clear my tires and want it to ride good on and offroad...but also wanna be able to have some fun and flew a little bit to
Old 02-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Deanxj97
Just go with new springs, it's worth it in the long run.
X2 You'll be a lot more satisfied with new springs and itll be money well spent!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

Originally Posted by Adrenjunkie89
Sorry about that haha....I don't want to go over 3"...I have 30 9.50s on it right now(they rub) and it's my everyday driver but I do take it offroad(no mud) so I wanna clear my tires and want it to ride good on and offroad...but also wanna be able to have some fun and flew a little bit to
If you don't want over 3" then you wont really need new control arms, brake lines, t-case drop, adjustible trac bar or any of that, though it all isnt a bad idea to upgrade all that as you go along.

I recommend:
Search ebay for the cheapest 3" lift kit with the front springs 4 shocks and add a LONG leaf. If your leaf springs arnt totally flat right now you will do ok with the AAL for awhile but you'll have to get shackles or make a bastard pack eventually.

Also grab a ZJ pitman arm from a junk yard to help with angles.

Then make sure you steering components are in good shape, replace baal joines, bushings, ect...
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Year: '91 2dr Laredo
Engine: 4.0 HO

OME kit... you'll love it and be done with it.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by jeeepguy
OME kit... you'll love it and be done with it.
You have it... sweet.
Lots and lots of great reviews online, but Ive met with few who actually has one.
They are VERY expensive though... the one I was looking at was almost more than I paid for my jeep. Which means it wont be until after this summer until Ill have cash to buy it.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 AM

Year: '91 2dr Laredo
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by ivantheigor
You have it... sweet.
Lots and lots of great reviews online, but Ive met with few who actually has one.
They are VERY expensive though... the one I was looking at was almost more than I paid for my jeep. Which means it wont be until after this summer until Ill have cash to buy it.
You know what they say... "you get what you pay for" and it rings true with the OME stuff.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeeepguy
You know what they say... "you get what you pay for" and it rings true with the OME stuff.
That or its the more money than brains club.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Year: 1989 Base
Engine: 4.0L "Power Tech"

Hear your wants.., lol. Well, I've decided to start up a modest build to lift up my stocker. So, I am going with all Old Man Emu coils, leafs, and shocks. So tired of trying to mix and match. They have set-ups to get you a couple of inches, and up to five I think. But that's it! Modestly, I want a sturdy ride, on and off road. Their leafs are military spec., i.e., secondary leaf extends beneath each eye, thusly in a practical sense, eliminates add-a-leaf. Expensive, but worth it in the long run. Think about it.., those Aussies punish their vehicles in the out-back, and so the OME system seems second to none for a practical set-up. When I get done, the ARB bull winch bumper, and rear csloffroad.com tube bumper w/driver's side swing-away spare tire mount will be supported correctly with such a good suspension system. I might go with Kevlar 31's, but that will probably necessitate trimming out the wheel fenders, AND etc. Meaty 30's will certainly work. Getting rid of; tossing out the rear stabilizer bar, and obtaining a front quick release bar seems to me to be the way to go on offroad trails, and other uneven territory. Such a modest upgrade is solid.., but in no way in a rock climbing configuration. Just my 2c, after hours of forum learning, and net researching. I must upgrade this little XJ, just in order to get it-- to get me-- to where my old '79 model 17, wide wheeled 258 cu.in. Cherokee could get me.., lol, a quarter million miles. The suspension outlasted the frame.