Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novak Transfer Case Linkage...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Novak Transfer Case Linkage...

Does anyone have experience with either of their solutions for the NP231?

The have a cable kit that retains the use of the stock shift lever, and also a simplified linkage kit that uses a supplied lever that is about $15 cheaper than the aforementioned cable kit.

Any help or input would be much appreciated, as my stock linkage is a pile of rusty crap and will not let me use 4LO at the moment, so my intent is to do away with it completely and upgrade to something of this nature.

I also know that Teraflex has a 231 linkage kit, but it looks cheap in my opinion and would rather not go in that direction... As stated before any input at all would be fantastic!

Thank you Sirs!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Buy some 3/8s heims, nuts, and some all thread from a local hardware store. Get rid of all that extra stock nonsense. Run strait from the shifter lever to the case lever. The case lever needs to be a little longer eye to eye to allow full throw and also needs to be rotated 180 degrees to work properly instead of low being high and high being low at the shift position. For this, go to the junk yard and pull the case lever off a 231 out of like a Blazer.

I plan on offering an easy complete kit similar to this in the future for people that cant or dont want to source the parts. but with left and right hand threads for easier adjustability.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 PM

So, I'm guessing that you vote no on the Novak products then?

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about already installed?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 AM

Year: 93
Engine: in line 6

Here's the links to the build thread he was talking about. It's what I'm probably going to end up doing. Novaks a little speedy and I heard its a little flimsy.

http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26
Old 11-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Yep. Exactly. I plan on offering a lever for the case side custom lasered out for the flip as well as the proper length from eye to eye to achieve full throw. I've honestly never used the Novak but I feel it is expensive for what it is. And I will personally never use cable shifters.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
Yep. Exactly. I plan on offering a lever for the case side custom lasered out for the flip as well as the proper length from eye to eye to achieve full throw. I've honestly never used the Novak but I feel it is expensive for what it is. And I will personally never use cable shifters.
If you end up making some pm me a price I may buy a set from you. Sounds like a good idea though!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM

Why do you say no to cable shifters? All of the reviews I have read seem to point the opposite way... Did you have a bad experience?

I too would be interested in seeing what you have done with yours... Let's see some pics!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by TN12valve

Why do you say no to cable shifters? All of the reviews I have read seem to point the opposite way... Did you have a bad experience?

I too would be interested in seeing what you have done with yours... Let's see some pics!
I have heard lots of great things but most tell you that one con is that they are a little flimsy and I'm not paying 150+ to have a flimsy bracket break and me have to fix it later, the way the write up is on is stronger and cheaper. That's just my take
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by bambam1017
I have heard lots of great things but most tell you that one con is that they are a little flimsy and I'm not paying 150+ to have a flimsy bracket break and me have to fix it later, the way the write up is on is stronger and cheaper. That's just my take
Exactly. Bambam took the words right out of my mouth.

The brackets are usually flimsy, but its not the chance of them breaking that I don't like. Its how "squishy" they feel. I like to know my t case is in gear. With a mechanical linkage you can feel it. A cable shifter seems to absorb any movements that let me know it's engaged when I can otherwise feel it in a solid lever type linkage. Not to mention cable stretch and sheath wear and maintenance and all that.

I just can't justify spending 150+ on a fancy cable linkage when I can build my own that will work just as good if not better for under 50. then spend the rest on other jeep parts. Hey, my wife puts me on a Jeep budget just like most of you guys. Lol
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Lead Foot, are you planning on putting together a shifter package for your doubler/231 range box? I'm thinking about the purchase, but I would like to get everything lined up as far as pieces and parts that I would need, before I make the final decision.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bambam1017
So i was reading some of the comments on your setup from the link that was provided above... Seems like a few people are doing this, but some are having trouble with getting the throw right. Does the OP have a parts list that can be posted up here?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM

So i was reading some of the comments on your setup from the link that was provided above... Seems like a few people are doing this, but some are having trouble with getting the throw right. Does the OP have a parts list that can be posted up here?
Not sure his thread may still be active. If you read some more on the comments people asked similar questions and he cleared then up
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
Lead Foot, are you planning on putting together a shifter package for your doubler/231 range box? I'm thinking about the purchase, but I would like to get everything lined up as far as pieces and parts that I would need, before I make the final decision.
Yes that shift linkage package is one more thing I'm working on. Along with a doubler crossmember. I need to finish the shackle relocation kits customers have ordered first. Then this will be the next item on my list.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

The reason some are having this issue is because they didn't weld in the hole on the lever then move it to adjust the ratio for the proper throw. This is why I am lazering out custom levers for the t case side that will give the proper throw.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Yes that shift linkage package is one more thing I'm working on. Along with a doubler crossmember. I need to finish the shackle relocation kits customers have ordered first. Then this will be the next item on my list.
Thanks for the reply, I'll look forward to some pics of the full doubler package.

Quick Reply: Novak Transfer Case Linkage...