Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ram-air intake on Renix, question about vacuum lines.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242
Default New ram-air intake on Renix, question about vacuum lines.

Some information before we get started (skip if tldr);

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently in the process of getting my 87 Cherokee fully driveable, and doing random upgrades along the way.
Renix 4.0L
Auto 2wd
18x,xxx miles
3 out of 4 wheels come off (diffrerent story for a different day lol)
Black, 4 doors, plenty of scratches, dings, rust, character, etc.
I've put on a magnaflow exhaust, deleted the wiper fluid bottle, and did the thermostat mod via lunghd. Replaced the intake/exhaust gasket, and want to do the Neon injector upgrade next.

Onto my issue.

I've just installed a cone filter with a 3" aluminum intake pipe, with no fittings for the vacuum lines. I've temp-rigged the canister line into the rubber boot on the TB, but I can't figure out what to do with the "intake manifold to airbox" line. (Bottom elbow in picture below was connected to the back of my airbox)

The top elbow goes to the fuel regulator, the second goes to something near the old airbox spot, and the 3rd is the elbow that went to my airbox, that I've read was "pluggable". In doing so, the the engine started up just fine. However, after about 15 seconds of idling, I began to smell gas and shut it down. After inspection, the fuel regulator is leaking. I've previously replaced both of the white plastic clips on the ends of the fuel rail, so I'm not sure if it's just come loose, or the plug has broken something . Does this line run air to the fuel regulator, or the injectors or something? Or is it not needed, and " pluggable" like I've read?

If any other info is needed, please let me know. This is hopefully the last step to getting my jeep on the road!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

If the regulator is leaking I would suggest looking at the two o rings and plastic spacer. If one of the o rings is torn it will allow fuel the leak, the o rings you can fine somewhat easy the plastic spacer not so much. That would be the next step in would take.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:16 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That line was to supply vacuum for the thermo switch which operated the flap in the front of the stock air box. Not needed now.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by hbracing13
If the regulator is leaking I would suggest looking at the two o rings and plastic spacer. If one of the o rings is torn it will allow fuel the leak, the o rings you can fine somewhat easy the plastic spacer not so much. That would be the next step in would take.
The O-rings and retaining clips were replaced on both sides, about 4 months ago. No major driving has occurred since then, so that's why I figured something I'd recently done might have caused the leak.

Originally Posted by cruiser54
That line was to supply vacuum for the thermo switch which operated the flap in the front of the stock air box. Not needed now.
That's what I've been reading. So I just pushed all of the fuel rail connections in real nice and it seems to be fine. I'll post of picture of how everything turned out in the morning. Thanks for verifying that for me though!