Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring for a Driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Measuring for a Driveshaft?

Hey guys, I’m in the last phase of prepping my Jeep for weekend trail riding. The last thing I need is a front driveshaft. I will be ordering one from Tom Woods, but I don’t have any measurements to go off of. When I bought my Jeep it didn’t have a front driveshaft and since then it’s been lifted 5.5”s and on 35s. Not sure how to get extended and collapsed measurements. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cgeiss97
Hey guys, I’m in the last phase of prepping my Jeep for weekend trail riding. The last thing I need is a front driveshaft. I will be ordering one from Tom Woods, but I don’t have any measurements to go off of. When I bought my Jeep it didn’t have a front driveshaft and since then it’s been lifted 5.5”s and on 35s. Not sure how to get extended and collapsed measurements. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
i remember vagely but not 100% if its completely right. If you are ordering from tom woods, they have their method of how they want you to do it on their site. That way you do it how they want since they are making it.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Martlor13
i remember vagely but not 100% if its completely right. If you are ordering from tom woods, they have their method of how they want you to do it on their site. That way you do it how they want since they are making it.
I believe you are correct. I know Adam's had me do a specific measurement when I ordered mine. It turned out perfect so I cant complain. Personally, I would go with an Adams shaft over a Tom Woods. You really cant beat their customer service and that goes a long way with me.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Do you really need an aftermarket driveshaft? I'm on 5" of lift with a stock shaft up front. I've had no issues with it. If you do need a longer shaft, there is a chart floating around somewhere on the forum with lengths of stock shafts. I was able to pull one from a specific ZJ that was an inch or two longer than a stock XJ shaft for my rear axle. Sorry, but I don't remember the specifics. At my local Pick n Pull driveshafts cost ~$40.

If you do go the junkyard shaft route, I would suggest you pull a measurement from center of u joint on axle to center of u joint on transfer case. Then measure the compressed length and fully extended length of the junkyard shaft, then aim for the shaft to be in the middle of that travel when the jeep is sitting on it's tires. Should give you enough travel for full suspension travel.

Not a bad idea to verify the travel of the shaft after you install it. Put the jeep on jack stands, pull the front springs, and cycle the suspension from full droop to full compression. Verify driveshaft doesn't overextend or (more concerning) over compress. Good time to verify your bump stops too. Make sure tire doesn't contact fender before bumpstop hits.

Last edited by bad_idea; 05-31-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Do you really need an aftermarket driveshaft? I'm on 5" of lift with a stock shaft up front. I've had no issues with it. If you do need a longer shaft, there is a chart floating around somewhere on the forum with lengths of stock shafts. I was able to pull one from a specific ZJ that was an inch or two longer than a stock XJ shaft for my rear axle. Sorry, but I don't remember the specifics. At my local Pick n Pull driveshafts cost ~$40.

If you do go the junkyard shaft route, I would suggest you pull a measurement from center of u joint on axle to center of u joint on transfer case. Then measure the compressed length and fully extended length of the junkyard shaft, then aim for the shaft to be in the middle of that travel when the jeep is sitting on it's tires. Should give you enough travel for full suspension travel.

Not a bad idea to verify the travel of the shaft after you install it. Put the jeep on jack stands, pull the front springs, and cycle the suspension from full droop to full compression. Verify driveshaft doesn't overextend or (more concerning) over compress. Good time to verify your bump stops too. Make sure tire doesn't contact fender before bumpstop hits.
already tried a couple stock ones and they were too short. This is also not gonna be somethin that will be taken lightly on the trails. Would like to have somethin a little beefier.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
I believe you are correct. I know Adam's had me do a specific measurement when I ordered mine. It turned out perfect so I cant complain. Personally, I would go with an Adams shaft over a Tom Woods. You really cant beat their customer service and that goes a long way with me.
Customer service is everything to be. Will definitely have to look at Adams. Thanks!