Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about lifts

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, custom intake and breather, Mean Green Starter, Jeep (tm) flexplate
Post Lets talk about lifts

I first want to say that YES I have used the search button prior to this post (give or take 4 months of research) and YES - I have looked at
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/xj...mpanies-76868/
as many automatically point a finger to. There are some mentioned lift mfg's that are either rated poorly OR are WAY over priced.

Here goes:
I am looking to FINALLY invest in a lift- as my stock rear leafs are beginning to bow the opposite direction and when i hit a bump on the interstate the jeep makes a clunking sound. The jeep is a DD. I do not rock crawl, its mostly trails and mud around the north east. Thus, I don't need anything outrageous. Just a lift

I used to like all the great comments made about RE (rubicon express - for those who are not familiar) but I noticed their lack of upgrades to the base models. Their lack of online customer support. And when was their site updated last? There hasn't been anything new added for like 2 years.
My second choice is RC (rough country)
They have online support. They have a youtube channel. They update their site atleast once a month (or more - thats just a bare minimum observation)

Lift wise, I have narrowed down between 3" - 4.5".
Heres the catch. I have been advised that I won't need control arm drops, transfer case drops, sye's, or new drive shafts for those sizes. Those sizes also "shouldn't" give DW (death wobble).HOWEVER, there is a TON of contradiction between having the equipment and having the issues and not having it and not having the issues. blah blah blah.

I'd like to get your feedback, thoughts, comments, concerns..

Sooo....
Lets talk lifts - be fair, no condescending, just jeep owner to jeep owner.

Last edited by JeepDreems; 07-16-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Literally just got done installing my RC 3" series II kit. Only have driven 20 miles. Nice ride and just a slight vibration from 50-55 mph
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 PM

Engine: 4.0L, custom intake and breather, Mean Green Starter, Jeep (tm) flexplate

What size tires/wheels are you running? Pics if you have a chance

I forgot to mention that in my description on my jeep

I have Duratrac 235/75/r15's with less than 1000 mi on them
Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

i did a three inch and dreadfully wish i would have gone 4.5 because i got vibes and had to do an sye anyways!!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

and my series 2 rides like crap. i wish i would have saved another month or two and got bilstiens. I am going to do that when i go up to 4.5 inches
Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Engine: 4.0L 6 Cyl

I literally just put 3" on my 99 kj yesterday and i have just a bit of vibration takin of around 0-35 and its only on accelaration also its only just a tiny tiny bit of vibration. I suggest 3, it made a huge diff. http://www.xtremeterrain.com/3suspen...-02jeepxj.aspx Look at this and see what you think.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

If you have to do a kit rough country is a good cheap brand. Zone is as well and there is a strong thing between them and bds. I would do the 4.5" lift from them however see if they will let you order the shackle relocation kit and 3" leafs for it. You will not regret it the ride is a lot better than 4.5" leafs or 3"+a plain shackle.

It is still possible you will need a tcase drop you may get vibes from it. I would spend the extra money and get the crossmember drop from rustys (iirc) that way you do not loose ground clearance.

Sent by my pet chicken
Old 07-16-2011, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by JeepDreems
I first want to say that YES I have used the search button prior to this post (give or take 4 months of research) and YES - I have looked at
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/xj...mpanies-76868/
as many automatically point a finger to. There are some mentioned lift mfg's that are either rated poorly OR are WAY over priced.

Here goes:
I am looking to FINALLY invest in a lift- as my stock rear leafs are beginning to bow the opposite direction and when i hit a bump on the interstate the jeep makes a clunking sound. The jeep is a DD. I do not rock crawl, its mostly trails and mud around the north east. Thus, I don't need anything outrageous. Just a lift

I used to like all the great comments made about RE (rubicon express - for those who are not familiar) but I noticed their lack of upgrades to the base models. Their lack of online customer support. And when was their site updated last? There hasn't been anything new added for like 2 years.
My second choice is RC (rough country)
They have online support. They have a youtube channel. They update their site atleast once a month (or more - thats just a bare minimum observation)

Lift wise, I have narrowed down between 3" - 4.5".
Heres the catch. I have been advised that I won't need control arm drops, transfer case drops, sye's, or new drive shafts for those sizes. Those sizes also "shouldn't" give DW (death wobble).HOWEVER, there is a TON of contradiction between having the equipment and having the issues and not having it and not having the issues. blah blah blah.

I'd like to get your feedback, thoughts, comments, concerns..

Sooo....
Lets talk lifts - be fair, no condescending, just jeep owner to jeep owner.
1. Since you are looking for full leaf packs, don't look at zone, they don't offer full packs yet, only AAL. AAL is not good for sagging springs

2. The reason for the lack of customer service and support from RE is cuz they went out of business. I have heard that they are coming back cuz 4wd has bought them out.

3. Rough country is a great company, and a lot of people fun their lifts. If I were you I'd go for the 4.5 inch lift, just cuz its bigger and you'll be able to do more (generally)

4. As for tcase drops and SYE's. Every jeep is different. I know people that do 4.5 inch lifts without a tcase drop or and SYE. Then you have people that do a 3 inch lift and need an SYE. Its basically a crap shoot until you lift it and feel or don't feel vibes.

Hope this helps
Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 PM

you just answered what I was going to ask, in a way lol

I guess I am dreading having to buy bigger tires.
I just bought my 235/75/r15 wrangler duratrac's 369 days ago. The jeep has since been sitting
due to some issues. The little nub hair things are STILL on the sidewall tread.

Last edited by JeepDreems; 07-16-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

you just answered what I was going to ask, in a way lol

I guess I am dreading having to buy bigger tires.
I just bought my 235/75/r15 wrangler duratrac's 369 days ago. The jeep has since been sitting
due to some issues. The little nub hair things are STILL on the sidewall tread.
craigslist those bad boys!!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 PM

I'd say you need to look at what it is you really plan on doing in your jeep and decide if you need to go up to a 4.5". You said you don't do any rock crawling, just trails and some mud. Think about the trails and mud you run, is a 3" going to be enough? My point is, with a 3" you can still run those new tires of yours with out it looking too bad and when you decide you are ready then you can throw on some 31s. I'm not trying to turn you away from a 4.5, just pointing out that you can run the tires you have on a 3" and that a 3" may be all you really need for the driving you do (only you can decide that).
Old 07-16-2011, 10:08 PM

I am half and half on my kit ideas. I agree that the 4.5 does allow for larger tires and more articulation but has the downfall of the need for new larger tires and the need for other equipment is pretty high.

The 3.5 won't be as high but aesthetically its not much different, from what I have seen. Eventually i might get 31x10.50's which is the recommended right?

I have been losing sleep over the whole decision because of the unknown factors. It's the biggest purchase since I bought the jeep.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Could always get a good 3" kit with adjustable arms, adjustable tracbar and when your current tires wear out order a set of coil spacers and a shackle. Then you are just eventually adding $100 to get a little more lift and the ability to fit a 32 without really trimming and a 33 with minor trimming

Sent by my pet chicken
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

I am half and half on my kit ideas. I agree that the 4.5 does allow for larger tires and more articulation but has the downfall of the need for new larger tires and the need for other equipment is pretty high.

The 3.5 won't be as high but aesthetically its not much different, from what I have seen. Eventually i might get 31x10.50's which is the recommended right?

I have been losing sleep over the whole decision because of the unknown factors. It's the biggest purchase since I bought the jeep.
I know how ya feel. I was ripping my hair out trying to decide which lift I wanted.

Luckily I need new tires and so I'm grabbing some 31 inch firestone destination at's and a 4.5 inch lift. Rausch here I come!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 PM

would it be worth spending the money for the drop c arm kit?

noticed there hasn't been much mentioned about this.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about lifts