Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep rides rough, but I thought OME and RE were good

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Jeep rides rough, but I thought OME and RE were good

Hey Jeepers,

I recently installed 4.5" RE Front Coils and OME CS033RB Leaf Springs in the back (with extended shackles). This was a replacement for sagging front and rear springs, which were really bad. I did remove the 3rd leaf from the OME leaf springs.

I just noticed that my jeep still rides rough. Almost no different in the ride compared to my old sagging springs and leafs. What's the deal here? I have Bilstein 5100s, do you think maybe these could be too rough for what I'm looking for?

Biltstein 24-188197 for the front,
and Bilstein 33-066868 for the rear.

I'm just disappointed that I spent hundreds on new coils and leafs and shackles and my ride is still the same rough ride. I don't expect it to ride like a luxury vehicle, but I've heard great things about these springs and shocks and I'm disappointed that I'm not getting a better ride.

Any help would be great, thanks!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It does sound like a good spring and shock combo. Your suspension geometry is probably whats causing your rough ride. Have you done any shackle relocation in the rear, are you still running short arms in there stock location?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

1. Its a solid axle they will never ride smoothly just not in the nature of how a fully solid axle vehicle works.

2. What is the shackle angle in the rear? you want the rear shackle to be at about 45* at ride height. Also make sure you didnt over tighten the shackle so it can function properly and move with the suspension. OME packs are great if you have extra wight like bumpers sliders skids gear inside ect they can ride stiff unloaded or on a more stock rig.

3. 4.5 is a tall coil to still have the factory short arms and in my personal opinion any short arm. The added height from the coil lift changes the geometry of the front suspension so it is not as responsive to bumps in the road. Also most lift springs are a stiffer spring rate then stock to again help with added weight that we like to put on these when lifting them.

4. Finally its not mentioned in the post but what tires and air pressure are you running? Tires and what PSI they are at can have a huge overall effect on how a vehicle rides. XJs are relatively light so running say an E load rating tire could result in a harsh ride.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Irongrave
1. Its a solid axle they will never ride smoothly just not in the nature of how a fully solid axle vehicle works.

2. What is the shackle angle in the rear? you want the rear shackle to be at about 45* at ride height. Also make sure you didnt over tighten the shackle so it can function properly and move with the suspension. OME packs are great if you have extra wight like bumpers sliders skids gear inside ect they can ride stiff unloaded or on a more stock rig.

3. 4.5 is a tall coil to still have the factory short arms and in my personal opinion any short arm. The added height from the coil lift changes the geometry of the front suspension so it is not as responsive to bumps in the road. Also most lift springs are a stiffer spring rate then stock to again help with added weight that we like to put on these when lifting them.

4. Finally its not mentioned in the post but what tires and air pressure are you running? Tires and what PSI they are at can have a huge overall effect on how a vehicle rides. XJs are relatively light so running say an E load rating tire could result in a harsh ride.
1. Yeah I understand that but this just seems really rough.

2. Sadly it's 90 degrees with the ground. I'm going to get a shackle relocation kit next. I tightened everything to torque spec.

3. I have adjustable lowers with a drop bracket installed. My arms are almost parallel to the ground. I also have removable extended sway bar links.

4. I don't know the load rating but they are Goodyear Wranglers 29.6" with about 32 psi in them.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Tift
I don't know the load rating but they are Goodyear Wranglers 29.6" with about 32 psi in them.
theres your problem, you should be on a 32' tall tire with 29.6psi in them
Old 04-30-2019, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

2. Sadly it's 90 degrees with the ground. I'm going to get a shackle relocation kit next. I tightened everything to torque spec.

3. I have adjustable lowers with a drop bracket installed. My arms are almost parallel to the ground. I also have removable extended sway bar links.

4. I don't know the load rating but they are Goodyear Wranglers 29.6" with about 32 psi in them.
But did you tighten them with the jeep on the ground and supporting it's own weight, or was it in the air and hanging ??
Old 04-30-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
But did you tighten them with the jeep on the ground and supporting it's own weight, or was it in the air and hanging ??
Tightened them when on the ground.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0l

Drop your tiar pressure a bit and try that. I run 31" goodyear Duratrac 28 psi front and 25-26 psi rear. Give it a shot and go from there. Also shackle relocation is always a good idea to get your angles right
Old 04-30-2019, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

That rear shackle angle is to steep. you are forcing the leaf spring to do all the work, instead of the shackle doing its job to pivot. relocating them to the proper 45* will make a huge difference. Also drop your tire pressures to about 25 psi and do a proper chalk test on them.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Agree with what's been said except that it just rides rough because of solid axles.

Shackle relocation will change the ride drastically. Tire pressure will as well. I would also start at about 25 psi and go from there.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I have a RC 4.5 with 33 tires, last weekend I put RC shackle relocation kit on with shackle extensions keeping a 45 degree angle at the shackles, it is an night and day difference in the ride. It also added approx. 2 inches to my ride height so I had to put spacers in the front and order longer shocks for the rear. I believe there are some shackles out there that will change the angle but not raise your jeep, I'm someone will chime in if the know who makes them.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM

https://www.hdoffroadengineering.com...ation-brackets
Old 05-04-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 5" of lift with Metalcloak coils OME shock OME leafs. Control arm DB's and shackle relocation boxes. My jeep rides very nice. You can get there!