Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I thought jeeps were tough?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default I thought jeeps were tough?

I was told by many that own them, that these cherokees were as tough as nails. If this is true then i have been decieved... yesterday, after changing my oil, feeling good, driving down the road. i go across a set of train tracks on the road i live on. all of a sudden i here the scariest grinding noise i have ever heard!! stop, open the hood, the fan is rubbing up against the fan shroud, almost touching the radiator. so i limp it home. open the hood and notice that the motor looked crooked. look underneath and bam....... I sheared the frickin motor mount bolts off in the block!!! ARE YOU F-IN KIDDING ME??

So i guess my questions for you all is how hard is this going to be to fix? Am I going to have to pull the motor out? It looks like i could just drop the motor down to get to the bolts. If i decide to take it to a garage, how much will it cost to fix? thank you all... o an by the way.. my cherokee will now be up for sale once fixed.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ive seen that happen, when the motor mount bolts back off for whatever reason this happens.

i have beat the crap out of a few xj's and never had an issue pertaining to that,so its a freak occurence. (i have gone through a few sets of motor mounts though.

this is a good upgrade i know some people who couldnt repair all bolt holes so they just threw these on, and have had no issues since

http://browndogindustries.com/s2572-...cketspair.aspx
Old 11-15-2009, 07:36 AM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0
Default Motor mount bolts

SHEARED MINE OFF ON THE DRIVERS SIDE . PUT SOME HEAT ON THEM FROM A TORCH AND USE A EASY OUT. I ALSO USED A JACK TO RAISE THE MOTOR SO I COULD GET IN THERE TO WORK. GET SOME GRADE 8 BOLTS AND LOCKTITE . GOOOD LUCK
Old 11-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered Users

Well this jeep has been a lemon since the day i drove it home!! once it is fixed its getting a forsale sign put on it and i am driving my old ford ranger.....(that has 200k miles on it and has been beat to hell and only replaced alternator, and 2 wheel bearings!!! Now that thing is tough!!!)

I was afraid i was going to have to lift the motor... meens i gotta pull the trans off right? do i have to disconect all my connections or is there enough slack to get it high enough. i thought about unbolting the drivers side and just trying to tip the motor and get them out from the bottom?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just use a floorjack to raise the motor.

Lemon? A little more detail as to why you think this.
Could it be that it didn't receive proper maintenance during it's 13 year life perhaps.

Don't be to quick to ditch the heep. They'll provide many years of safe and reliable service with just a little preventative maintenance....seriously.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 AM
XJD

Year: This one's a 96'....

I'll give you $50 you deliver Ah just fix it.......gives you a reason to have a few beers with your buddies this weekend in the garage. And it's not that hard to do just maybe a little time consuming. Just don't use a easy-out!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Registered Users

so unbolt the other side and jack it up? thats easy enough. well i bought the jeep from a preacher who owned it from new. had been stored in a garage all its life and maintaned at a jeep dealership. i have put a cps, coil, computer, cat muffler exhaust, distributor, cap rotor, plugs, wires, both 02 sensors and now this. and it still has a missfire. plus it has left me stranded on the side of the road four times. and i have owned it for a year. put less than 10k miles on it and replaced all of that. with the money i dumped into this thing i could have bought a really nice truck!!! that is why i am selling it. plus i can use the ranger for free and i will be out of college in 6 months and working again. i planned on selling the jeep then anyways... gotta make room for the cummins!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

As with any vehicle some were built on friday at 5. I have been nothin butr extremly happy with mine.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

Originally Posted by kilbrethj
so unbolt the other side and jack it up? thats easy enough. well i bought the jeep from a preacher who owned it from new. had been stored in a garage all its life and maintaned at a jeep dealership. i have put a cps, coil, computer, cat muffler exhaust, distributor, cap rotor, plugs, wires, both 02 sensors and now this. and it still has a missfire. plus it has left me stranded on the side of the road four times. and i have owned it for a year. put less than 10k miles on it and replaced all of that. with the money i dumped into this thing i could have bought a really nice truck!!! that is why i am selling it. plus i can use the ranger for free and i will be out of college in 6 months and working again. i planned on selling the jeep then anyways... gotta make room for the cummins!!!
all this stuff you replaced...these are wear parts and are expected to need to be replaced. i wouldnt call it a lemon.....except the computer.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Well this jeep has been a lemon since the day i drove it home!! once it is fixed its getting a forsale sign put on it
I don't blame you, Cherokee's are FAR AND AWAY the biggest hunk of junk POS I've ever had the misfortune to own in my life, EVERYTHING has broke, leaked, quit working for no reason, ect.

My next vehicle will be Japanese.
I'm keeping the local auto parts stores in business with all the parts I buy.

I wish I'd never gotten rid of my nissan, nothing ever went wrong with it ever.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 AM
XJD

Year: This one's a 96'....

It's a '96 right? Did you throw a scanner on it? '96 has a OBDII port on it. Did you check all the grounds? It could be something really easy....Out of curiosity what are you loking to get for it when you sell?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Registered Users

yes i scanned it. misfire on cylinders 1 and 6 and a multiple misfire code. Yes this will be the last jeep i ever own. this has been a horrible experience. some have good luck with them and thats great but for me it has been a nightmare. I wish i never sold the 1 ton for. that truck was an animal! owell... lesson learned!

gonna try to get 3k for it after i fix it.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 AM

I had a white '88 Cherokee with 256k. Not one problem. I don't even recall changing any of the belts. Sorry to hear about that!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

Did you buy it new? If not you need to know what the previous owner did to it. After I bought my 90 and started digging into it I realized MAJOR abuse. I've have to replace tons and tons or parts, I haven't even really been able to buy any goodies for it. If you bought it new, then yes that happens yo can get a lemon its happened to me.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Registered Users

i bought it used. and will never buy another one. i apreciate all you guys's help though i really do!! just one of those things.. i got drunk on vodka one time when i was like 16...puked my brains out. thought i was going to die... wont drink vodka again... simple as that.. but soon as its fixed its someone elses problem.. and i will be riding around in a little 2wd ranger thats loud as **** and gets twice the gas mileage. probably better for me while im in college anyway

Quick Reply: I thought jeeps were tough?