Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

Supercharger For 4.0L Jeep

Old 05-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Supercharger For 4.0L Jeep

Is there any interest (on this forum) in a Supercharger designed for the 4.0L Jeep??

Superchargers has become one of our fastest growing markets and we are looking at covering more applications. As far as Jeeps go, we currently we have covered 2012 - 2018 3.6L V6 Wranglers, and some of the Grand Cherokee SRT8 applications. I can tell you, our Supercharger really woke-up or 2018 JL test truck!!!

Just trying to get some opinions/input from the forum member's here to see if there is any interest.

Thanks
Dennis

This is our Supercharged JL Test Truck.

Last edited by AMXJ; 05-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Boosted technologies currently make an under the hood kit using an m90 with a modified snout. How would your kit differ? What would you use to tune the SBEC2 and JTEC PCM?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Cummins93 View Post
How would your kit differ? What would you use to tune the SBEC2 and JTEC PCM?
I don't have the answer to that, but I'm sure our electronics/calibration Dept. would be able to figure it all out. This is not our first rodeo and we are not new the world of superchargers!! LOL

All we were trying to do here was gauge interest in a possible new supercharger project, but buy the lack of response it looks like there is no interest in a complete high quality supercharger kit for our 4.0L Jeep's.

Thanks for looking!
Dennis
Old 05-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

I wouldn't judge the lack of interest based on this forum response. There are many lurkers that don't respond for various reasons one being repetitively told not to do it and just go with an engine swap. DIY forced induction requires relatively easy, affordable to the masses and accessible tuning options. DSM link was just that for the Mitsubishi, Plymouth, Eagle crowd. You tell it what you want and the ECM adjusts towards the goal. The big problem is there is a lack of tuning options for the 1996 to the 2004 JTEC PCM. There is no support for the 1991 to 1995 SBEC2 ECU. If your software team could create something innovative for tuning that would generate large demand for FI setups.

I have personally made a supercharger set up for my 4.0 and ran it. I was not impressed with the performance that I got. Given my SC was used and a roots type gen 3 m90. I also spun the rotors at 13000rpm? at 5k engine rpm. Lots of heat and no discernable power benefit over 8psi. I moved to a turbocharger set up a while ago and would never go back given the current options.

It would be great to see more about how you would do your set up and what unit you would use. I hope you continue to explore aftermarket support for the 4.0L.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:17 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Very well said Cummins93. looking at youtube builds for strokers they total from 5K to 8K and lurking the help section there are several "stroker install doesn't run right" posts. When I have conculted with others they tell me to "just LSX swap it" and be done. If you had a kit that wasn't too expensive and could overcome the tunning aspect it would be great. 2 to 3K kit and I can keep swapping in junkyard motors for 100$ at the pick and pay might be more interest.