Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron rock offroad high steer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default Iron rock offroad high steer?

All of the joints in my steering are completely shot. So this my perfect excuse to upgrade. I want an OTK system, but a lot of them either cost way too much or get way too fancy.

The JCR kit calls for new sway bar mounts and maybe a new track bar mount, i cant remember. The Rustys kit is the same way I believe.

So I found the Iron Rock Offroad OTK steering kit! It doesnt involve redrilling the steering knuckles, doesnt need new swaybar or track bar mounts, comes with 3/4'' hiem joints throughout, can reuse the stabilizer, has an actual full tierod/draglink, and is completely bolt on!!!

Either I missed something or its a win, win, win, win, win!!!! lol I have also heard a lot of good things about everything they make

Heres the link by the way
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XST

Any feedback would be appreciated...
Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty sweet. I love my high steer. 10x better than the factory crap linkage.

I have a D30 out of a zj and my high steer just consists of some DOM tubing and Heim joints.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I'm thinking about this kit for the same reasons. My biggest concern is how heims are for daily driving, long term.

Interested to hear experiences.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Ya, I know a lot of people on here are in love with thier Longarm kit. So they must make good stuff.
I am also a little nervous about having hiems on the street. My jeep is no pavement princess so the hiems are an awesome upgrade offroad, but I dont have a tow rig and trailer yet so highway driving to and from wheelin is a must. I wonder if there is a noticable difference in vibration trnsfer to the steering wheel?

Anybody have this setup?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Pretty sure everyone says heims suck for daily driving.

I got the JCR OTK because they use GM 1 ton TREs.

If you wanna do it cheap just get the TREs and build it yourself. Find a metal supplier in the area.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Did you need to move your sway bar link mounts and track bar mount?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Pretty sure everyone says heims suck for daily driving.

I got the JCR OTK because they use GM 1 ton TREs.

If you wanna do it cheap just get the TREs and build it yourself. Find a metal supplier in the area.
Did you need to relocate your sway bar mounts and track bar mount?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

nothin highsteer about that.

anyway, only complaint ive heard about this system is the linkage flopping around a little making noise. (thats what happens when you have bent links with worn heims.

as for the heims on the street. they can squeak once they wear. Usually only evident with cheaper heims though.

The other over the knuckle kits require trackbar relocation to avoid bumpsteer because the drag link is relocated higher, which is better for taller lifts. The flatter your links are, the less your front axle moves side to side upon travel.

The other kits also use straight tie rods, which require swaybar bracket removal/relocation (straight links are stronger than bent links of the same material)

Last edited by ktmracer419; 02-05-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Location: Orono, ME/Hudson Falls, NY/Wilton, CT. Depends when ya catch me!
Year: 97
Engine: I6 4.0L

This kit is completely bolt in. Swaybar mounts stay and you dont have to worry about it hitting a diff cover cuz the tie rod bends out. I installed it in december and so far no complaints. I was worried about the heims but only time will tell. So far I have no extra noises coming from the steering. If anything you will notice while hitting a pothole you MIGHT feel the drag link bounce (since its a heim setup) but I havent had that come up. Its beefy and pretty adjustable. That being said. Theres stronger kits out there. But I'd buy it again.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

I have the IRO kit with 5/8" hardware. It gets highway use too and from work every week day. Has been to tennessee and back twice (I'm in Ohio). been bashed around and beat on... has been on there over a year now. I don't have a single complaint. Installing it properly can be a little tricky though, as you have to get the clamps just right so it doesn't let the bend in the drag link drop down to level with the end or below, and as to not have the bolt in the clamp at the passenger wheel cut the tire down when you turn. (I found out the hard way). But that was easily remedied and once I had it set up right, it's been great.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
nothin highsteer about that.
I Know you know your stuff bro. How is this not a high steer though? Yes the drag link connects under the knuckle... but the tie rod is still entirely above the knuckle.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
I Know you know your stuff bro. How is this not a high steer though? Yes the drag link connects under the knuckle... but the tie rod is still entirely above the knuckle.
highsteer connects towards the top of the knuckles. To do it to a dana 30 you need new knuckles (wj dana 30) or some companies make kits that require a lot of drilling and tapping (which I'm not a huge fan of) Dana 44's with flat top knuckles and kingpin dana 60's use "high steer" arms which brings the steering up real high for a nearly flat drag link angle and the tie rod being very out of the way.

I just found this through google on a dana 30 and kinda like it. appears to use lhd and rhd wj knuckles.

heres a pic of the highsteer on my truck

Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

The heim on many adjustable track bars can wear out and become sloppy in less than a year. I would be worried the same would happen to the heims on a steering kit.

Also, I don't like how the drag link connects on the bottom. So it's more like a semi-high steer kit.

Being a novice builder I like the IRO kit for the same reasons as you but too many things I don't like. I'm leaning toward the Serious Offroad Kit with the inserts.

Last edited by McCaffrey; 02-05-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
The heim on many adjustable track bars can wear out and become sloppy in less than a year. I would be worried the same would happen to the heims on a steering kit.

Also, I don't like how the drag link connects on the bottom. So it's more like a semi-high steer kit.
heims arent just made by one person in a closet somewhere, there are MANY different brands and sizes. thats like saying, "i had a chocolate bar once and didnt like it. no one should eat chocolate because it doesnt taste good."

and thats called crossover. thats what i run, and it provides the best steering feel since the drag link and tie rod arent connected. will you feel a difference if both are installed in the same rig and the steering is installed properly? probably not.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
heims arent just made by one person in a closet somewhere, there are MANY different brands and sizes. thats like saying, "i had a chocolate bar once and didnt like it. no one should eat chocolate because it doesnt taste good."

and thats called crossover. thats what i run, and it provides the best steering feel since the drag link and tie rod arent connected. will you feel a difference if both are installed in the same rig and the steering is installed properly? probably not.
No really? Don't get all pissy.

BTW, I don't like chocolate at all. 45 years to sample a huge amount and different types. I hate mint too. Thanks for asking.

Quick Reply: Iron rock offroad high steer?